New member from New Hampshire

Vomact

Hi:

I am a new member here although I am not a stranger to the shooting sports. I used to shoot benchrest and in DCM meets back in the early 90's, when there was such a thing as the DCM. I had a LV and HV in 6 PPC smithed by a true gentleman, Vince Pastorella. Vince used to shoot in the hunter class for score and I had the opportunity to get smoke by him at Capital City (ME) on occasion. Sadly Vince passed away several years ago. If you have old copies (circa 1991 through 1993) of Precision Shooting and the NBRSA magazine you will find him in there.

I am currently a member of the NRA, NBRSA and the IBS.

I got laid off from my job (at 54) and looking for a new job for the past 6 months has proved that there is such a thing as age discrimination ( "I'm over qualified"). I am a geophysicist by training specializing in applied electromagnetics.

I recently decided to get back into shooting as son #1 is off to college and son # 2 will be in two years. After all, I need something to do with all my spare hours and I am driving my lovely wife crazy.

I recently decided to "pull the trigger" and ordered a Savage 10/110 VLP varminter in 22-250. I almost when for the Model 12 in 6.5mm Creedmoor but 1000 yard ranges are scarce hereabouts

My quandary is this:

1) What is a reasonable scope for this rifle. Back in the day it was a Leupold 36 x or nothing, nowadays you have a plethora of scopes, many costing more than the rifle itself.

2) I plan on using bushing dies however the choices are a multitude. I used to use L.E. Wilson with and arbor press (back in those days everybody did).

I am trying to keep costs down (for obvious reasons) and I am looking for some 'profession' guidance.

Any and all comments are appreciated.

Regards,

V

bummer on the job. hope tings work out.

as far as the scope, I have always felt that I got a lot of bang for my buck with Burris. one of my alltime favorites is the 6.5-20x50. you can pick them up for less than $350 if you can find one. Nikons Monarch is also a good buy for your money for less than $600.

I have found Leopold to be over priced, though they do have good scopes.

Good Luck

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.