New Member from Elk Central

Pacecount

I went from shooting pigs and pygmy deer in Florida to Elk, mulies, and every yo-die, I can find, in Colorado. It is seldom that I take a true long range shot as I am capable of getting much closer. There are a few areas, due to terrain, that require a long range shot.

I have the opportunity to hunt large private parcels and managed to hunt or guide every season this past year... Although I ran out of off days and was only able to hunt on weekends during R3 and R4.

I am happy to have my SAKO TRG-S M995 action in 270 w/ a 1:10 twist which can put some hurt on most anything with a 140 gr.

My 308 is in a short barrel (16") but develops 2480 FPS with a 168 gr TTSX. I took my cow 1st day of R3 at 80 yds with this rifle. She went less than 20 yards and died...

I have a SAKO L61R 375 H&H that was shooting pigs with a 300 gr TSX... McMillan and Hart are rebuilding her from a Mannlicher (stock broke at the lugs) to a 250 gr anything killer out to 600+ yards. With high winds out here a heavy bullet gets pushed around much less.

I am a 30 cal fan and am thinking through my next rifle purchase. The new rifle will be a hard-core hunting rifle with the ability, energy, and velocity needed to drop an animal at 800 Yds... I am not averse to carrying a 10 lb rifle + scope when necessary. I am looking at either a 7mm shooting 168s or a 300 win mag pushing 200 gr... Maybe 180 or 190s. I am open to recommendations with the caveat that I do not want a rifle with short barrel life (i.e. WSM or RUM).

See you down range,
pacecount

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.