New member ? Custom Rifles

IHCfirebum

Hello,
New member here from Oregon. Grew up hunting and hiking in the outdoors and luckily I have a job that I get to experience beautiful country almost year around. I have numerous guns in many calibers and have taken big game out to 500 yards with off the shelf rifles and good optics. I have been looking for a custom gun for a year or two now. Creeping forums and hunting sites along the way. I have had the experience of shooting a friends gunwerks 7mm STW at a thousand yards and hitting the target 2 for 2 was awesome! I am looking for a gun for hunting that is dialed in with optics to be able to shoot comfortably and consistently out to 700 yards. Wanted a Christensen arms at first due to the light weight but reviews don't seem that great for distance, Love the Gunwerks but price is high and there are a ton of rifle builders out building great guns that I don't know where to start. I am extremely interested in the rifles being built by Dead Down Range in Montana. Beautiful rifles, great prices including optics and by the videos and info seem to be great guns. Hard to find any first hand knowledge of them anywhere else. Does anyone have any experience with them? Should I be looking somewhere else? I am not a reloader, although I wish I had time and experience. I do spend a lot of time shooting when I have the time to do it. So I hate to say I am trying to take shortcuts but I am looking for something that comes built to go that I don't have to learn how to gunsmith to get it shooting right. Thanks.

Never had any experience with DDR of MT, but I'm sure if you do a search here, you might find something. Try using the google funtion in the top right corner.

As far as what you are looking for, you are probably on the right path. If you aren't going to reload, I would plan on buying high-end ammo (HSM, Gunwerks, etc). In the end, you would save a bunch of money getting in to reloading and it is really pretty simple once you get going. It is fairly expensive up front, but it will save you a bunch in the long run. Either way, if you are going to build a rifle, you will want to pick one of those loads to build off of if you aren't going to reload.

One other suggestion as far as guns go is to watch the classifieds on here. There are a ton of custom rifles that go up for sale daily. You will save a bunch of money that way and might be able to back in to a rifle that you thought would be out of your budget.

Once you get the rifle and loads, you can then work on building a scope that is customized to your rifle. You can order a Huskema or Gunwerks scope for it, or just get a basic scope and order Kenton turrets for it.

Good luck and welcome to the addiction!

Thanks, I know the ammo is one of the things I am thinking about. DDR does do all the recipes and loading and I believe you can buy ammo from them for your gun. Nice thing about them is the rifle packages come with either the Nightforce or Huskema scope and all the ballistics and ammo.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.