New from WY

tfeathers

I found your site by Googling long range hunting just to see what was out there. I'm impressed with the site and looking forward to spending some time on it. I am interested in a dedicated long range 30-06 build at some point in the future. I know it's not a typical 'long range' cartridge but I have hunted with it for the last 30 years, except for a recent foray into the 6.8 SPC, in several different firearms and am partial to it. Whether or not I have ever done any 'long range' hunting I'm not really sure. What is the consensus on this site of what constitutes 'long range'?

Welcome to LongRangeHunting. As to what constitutes "long range"......you might do some searches as this has been discussed several times but you'll find that "long range" has different meanings for different people and probably is somewhat defined by their experience, equipment and capabilities.

tfeathers,

From where I sit long range is what long range is for each individual.

Being a dedicated '06r with your years of experience long range for you, I would imagine, is the maximum range of you cartridge and bullet.

I assisted a young fellow with a '06 Win Featherweight with that short barrel. He had trouble with 168 Bergers not making the trip and switched to a heavier Berger. After a couple of sessions in the mountains gaining confidence, experience and knowledge he and his brother harvested very nice bull elk at 590 yard plus. I'd say that was long range in this case.

The fella's only complaint was it caused the kill to be in a very difficult, two day pack out.:) Good thing both of them were on the young side.

If it shoots good, get it shooting better. With a temperature insensitive powder.

Put the very best glass on it that you can. The glass will be most probably more expensive than the rig. There are plenty good glass options available. Think very long range on the glass. Plus think about a decent low end power, maybe a max of 4.5 power for the low light moments and up close and personal stuff.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.