New from Oregon

dmr400

Hello,

Long time 0-300 yard shooter, been lurking for a while, joining to stretch my legs a bit. Learned to shoot as a kid, had a .22 before a pellet gun, and honed that skill with 20 years of hunting shooting (Mostly varmits), and as an infantryman in the Army National Guard.

I'm currently in a seasonal, entry level position with Wildlife Services (Federal Agency, runs many county trapper programs as well as assisting other federal agencies with animal damage problems).

I suppose a story or two is the best way to cover my current skill level. 2 weekends ago after mounting and zeroing a new 4-12x Vortex scope on a very accurate .223 Remington 700 I fired a 3 shot group at 300 yards to verify the BDC reticle. It measured about 1.5", so ½ MOA. About 6 months ago I fired my Dad's custom 7mm w/Husquema Scope a few times for familiarization, and then fired a 3" 500 yard group, so about .6 MOA. Both of these groups were fired from a good bench with an excellent rest in fairly calm conditions. So I think it's safe to say my aiming, trigger squeeze, and breathing techniques are up to snuff. But as you all know, field shooting and bench shooting are 2 totally different animals, and that's what I'm here to bridge.

My goal is 2 parts:

1.) Put together a rifle, optics, and ammunition set up capable of cold bore hits out to 600-700 yards. I have an idea of what I want and the conditions it will be used in, but will be asking for advice in another thread, which I'll link back to here after I post it.

1.) More importantly, learn how to use that set up to it's fullest potential IN THE FIELD…which will probably be the more challenging of the two :) They are both numbered "1.)" for a reason :)

Anyway, that's me in a nutshell. Looking forward to being a member, although I plan on adhering to some sage advice I was once given…if the person you are talking to knows more about the subject at hand than you do, keep your mouth shut and ears open! Thanks for reading.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.