New Forster Co-ax

coyotewillie

I've made a reloading bench by ripping 2x10's and gluing up the strips in butcher block configuration 2" thick. I then routed out a 10"x10" square 1" deep. I butcher block laminated 1" thick plates to fit, mounted my presses and my Hornady case prep center to them. 4 bolts go through the plates into inserts in the bench top. I have an RCBS RC that I leave my 338LM dies in, and a Lyman T-mag with 2 extra turrets. Only takes about 30 seconds to switch out a turret, the presses, or the trimmer. Also have a Lee turret for pistol cartridges. But, after reading the 2019 multi-page thread on the Forster Co-ax, I've been considering getting one of them. Well, a while back I see Midsouth had them in stock and thought what the heck! Ordered one. Got it set up and have been trying it on a few calibers. After trying the Forster I believe it will be my main press. Obviously I don't reload some of the calibers very often, but I'd still need AT LEAST 1 more extra turret and I'd probably still have some left over dies then. I've really liked the Lyman but the Co-ax is just so simple. Looks like I'll keep the RCBS and sell the Lyman/turrets!

So, I have a few Lee collet dies and they use the lock collar with the rubber O-ring keeper. Now, they'll fit in the Co-ax, although snuggly, sitting on the rubber O-ring. Do you Lee die users change out the lock rings on the Lee's? Or do you feel that there's enough float with the O-ring not to cause any alignment issues?

This is what you need. I use them. Although I use them on an RC II. They really need to be tightened down. Don't believe floating would be the way to go..

You want to be able to float. That's one of the advantages to the coax and why it minimizes runout.

But on the lee rings, I think as long as it's not jammed in there solid and it can move a bit I think you would be fine. I use the lee decapper with lee ring but that's not a critical function to the float.

But I do tend to use forster rings over all the others anyway. They just seem to set easily, stay set, and float.

Last edited:
You want to be able to float. That's one of the advantages to the coax and why it minimizes runout.

But on the lee rings, I think as long as it's not jammed in there solid and it can move a bit I think you would be fine. I use the lee decapper with lee ring but that's not a critical function to the float.

But I do tend to use forster rings over all the others anyway. They just seem to set easily, stay set, and float.
^^^ This.

You can order 12 packs or individual lock rings directly from Forster. I really wanted to utilize all of my other lock rings, but I have found so much simpler and precise by swapping every other branded lock ring to the Forsters, which were designed to work flawlessly with the Coax.

I ordered a dozen rings right away, after I tried to insert a Lee collet die. Then after I realized it really didn't take much more force to push it in over the o-ring, I wondered if I even needed it on the Lees. The Lee, Hornady, and Forster lock rings are all the same thickness, with the RCBS lock rings being right at .050 thinner. So, I'll use the Forster rings on the RCBS dies for sure. Really shouldn't need them on the others.

Something I realized recently with my Forster even though I've been using it for years.
I ran out of Forster stainless lock rings and had to use some cheapy RCBS aluminum lock ring in the Forster.
I had to neck down a bunch of .257 Roberts to 6mm Remington. I sized 50 cases and began turning the necks. The neck turning blade was cutting into the shoulder only on one side of the case. I checked the runout of the necks and they were all off .003" (pretty wobbly). I double checked everything and it turns out that the cheapy aluminum lock ring was actually warping due to the leverage of the press. That was causing the case to enter crooked, however slight.
I robbed a proper Forster lock ring from another set of dies and it corrected the problem. I threw away all of the cheapy aluminum lock rings and ordered a dozen more Forsters.

I've made a reloading bench by ripping 2x10's and gluing up the strips in butcher block configuration 2" thick. I then routed out a 10"x10" square 1" deep. I butcher block laminated 1" thick plates to fit, mounted my presses and my Hornady case prep center to them. 4 bolts go through the plates into inserts in the bench top. I have an RCBS RC that I leave my 338LM dies in, and a Lyman T-mag with 2 extra turrets. Only takes about 30 seconds to switch out a turret, the presses, or the trimmer. Also have a Lee turret for pistol cartridges. But, after reading the 2019 multi-page thread on the Forster Co-ax, I've been considering getting one of them. Well, a while back I see Midsouth had them in stock and thought what the heck! Ordered one. Got it set up and have been trying it on a few calibers. After trying the Forster I believe it will be my main press. Obviously I don't reload some of the calibers very often, but I'd still need AT LEAST 1 more extra turret and I'd probably still have some left over dies then. I've really liked the Lyman but the Co-ax is just so simple. Looks like I'll keep the RCBS and sell the Lyman/turrets!

So, I have a few Lee collet dies and they use the lock collar with the rubber O-ring keeper. Now, they'll fit in the Co-ax, although snuggly, sitting on the rubber O-ring. Do you Lee die users change out the lock rings on the Lee's? Or do you feel that there's enough float with the O-ring not to cause any alignment issues?
You want to change out all of you lock rings on dies to be used in a Forester coax press. You can buy the extra rings for the coax press at a lot of places. They use aluminum rings so that the steel that holds the die never wears down.

I replaced those Lee O-rings with lock rings from Hornady. No problems with alignment.

Something I realized recently with my Forster even though I've been using it for years.
I ran out of Forster stainless lock rings and had to use some cheapy RCBS aluminum lock ring in the Forster.
I had to neck down a bunch of .257 Roberts to 6mm Remington. I sized 50 cases and began turning the necks. The neck turning blade was cutting into the shoulder only on one side of the case. I checked the runout of the necks and they were all off .003" (pretty wobbly). I double checked everything and it turns out that the cheapy aluminum lock ring was actually warping due to the leverage of the press. That was causing the case to enter crooked, however slight.
I robbed a proper Forster lock ring from another set of dies and it corrected the problem. I threw away all of the cheapy aluminum lock rings and ordered a dozen more Forsters.
Forester uses aluminum for their lock rings. Not stainless steel.

I was in the same boat as you when I bought my coax. I decided to just swap out all my rings with the Forster and couldn't be happier.
would the Lee work? Probably but the free floating alignment is why you bought the coax in the first place, so don't handicap it IMO.
I love not having to adjust dies every time I want to load something.

I tend to use Hornady Rings which I believe are very similar to the Forster. I can't say I'm the number one fan of the Co-Ax. It's my primary press now but I will also use a Lee Classic Cast interchangeably. I checked the runout on both and there is no perceivable difference. My main like is the shellholder design and my dislike is the fact that you have to start with the handle to grab the case which for me makes placing full cases tricky.

CoyoteWille, Off topic: Let's see your reloading bench. I kinda like the butcher block idea!