Need some help

NISTECH95

So I need some advice/help. After 3 months of deciding what kind of rifle to buy i finall purchased a Remington 700 SPS Varmint in .308 Winchester. I am looking to make a target rifle out of this thing. I neep some help and some advice on what kind of optics to put on it. I am looking to spend somewhere in the 600-800 dollar range. I also need to know about the bases. I am wanting to shoot at a 500 yard range near my house so I am not sure what all i need to get started. Any advice on what i should do?

I've got a 16X42 IOR scope that ran around $725 or so. I don't know if they have any tactical variables in your price range or not. I can sometimes see bullet holes at 300 yards with that scope, but not at 400 or 500. I have a cheap spotting scope that is worthless for seeing holes past 200 yards.

Lots of choices in optics in that price range. IOR is the only 'expensive' scope that I've got experience with; but, Zeiss conquests and Vortex Vipers are in your range. Sightron SIII is at the upper end of your range too.

In addition to a decent scope, get a good, solid rest (sandbags, bipod & rear rest, etc.), and a decent spotting scope (better than my $149 redhead scope). After that, just start shooting and keep good records!

With respect to bases and rings: I've got relatively cheap Burris bases and rings and more expensive Seekins bases and rings. Not sure I'm good enough to see the difference between them on the target. Seems like all the serious shooters use picatinny bases. A full rail does give a bit more flexibility in mounting the scope.

Get a Bushnell 6500 and you will be happy. They are a great value and can be bought on ebay for 70% of retail.
My 4-30x50 on my DPMS Sweet 16

DSCN2713.jpg

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.