Need help with approx MV of load -- QuickLoad???

cdherman

I have worked up a load in my newly rebarreled Savage. 7 Rem SAUM, Rem Brass, CCI BR-2 Primer, 61 gr H4831SC behind a 180gr Berger VLD Hunting bullet. Barrel is 26 Shilen Match Grade Stainless. 4 shot group of about .6"

I don't have a chrony (on the list of things to own) and don't really have any reloading books or info from Berger that gives me advice as to the expected velocity.

I'd be willing to invest in QuickLoad, but the program website seems so outdated, I am worried the program may not be all that up to date either. Or comprehensive....

I know I should ladder test the round, but I have 7 days and no free time till season opens.

I know I'll not be able to go much beyond 400 yards before I've tested the load more, but could someone with Quickload or any other reloading "prediction" program plug those components in and see what my predicted MV is?

I'd like to print a basic drop chart to have with me - I may get the opportunity to shoot a group at a distance and knowing approximately how many MOA to dial in is useful (Have Zeis 4x14 COnquest w/turrets)

Not knowing you're loaded length and using the default cartridge length of 2.825 it should be around 2984fps but it also shows it as being a pretty hot load at 75,607PSI which is 10,000 PSI over recommended max. This will change, go down, if your OAL is longer than 2.825 as long as it isn't touching the lans. You're also only using a large rifle primer and I believe the QL information for the the 7SAUM is based off using a Magnum large rifle primer so your peak chamber pressure would likely be less than 75K.

QuickLoad estimates the MV @ 2984 fps.

It also estimates a max chamber pressure if 75,607 psi, which is more than 10,000 psi over accepted safe maximums.

What is your COAL? Have you measured your case capacity (grains of h2o)?

ql7rsaum180bvld3.png

ql7rsaum180bvld1.jpg

ql7rsaum180bvld2.png

Thanks greatly fellas!!!

Although QL website seems archaic, the screen shots seem to indicate that it supports the 7 SAUM..

My COAL is over the entry you both used. At least 2.950 -- I have no loaded rounds to double check. The savage SA action is longer than Rem or Win SA, which allows a longer COAL.

I had Shilen throat the barrel to my dummy maxed to the action and magazine, but I found the accuraccy seated to the lands to be suboptimal. After a lot of testing, seems about 40 thou off seems OK.

I don't use true COAL much -- tend to use the Hornady Comparator numbers for my internal use, as we all know that bullet design greatly effects where the bullet hits the lands.

In any case, I do not think I am about to blow the gun. Been reloading for 30 years and the primers look OK, the brass shows no signs of flow (lettering erased) and the bolt is not sticky. And, dangerous loads don't shoot accuately, I think -- never really shot them long enough to know....

Anyway, good to know the QL predicted MV. Perhaps one of you could re-run with the longer COAL, though the change in COAL should not change the numbers that much. Unless QL is also looking for jump to lands, in which anentry of 40 thou would be correct.

I might have to invest in that program afterall.....

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.