need help w/poor grouping- Savage model 11 Long Range Hunter 308

Yeah, I found that a little enlightening myself. I never really thought about it until I tried it. Found out my scope was way off from where it should have been.

Tank

I had that same scope on a 25-06 Ruger No. 1 that I purchased at Cabellas.I fought with that gun for almost 6 months before trying another scope. Sent the Elete back and found out that it had been stressed by being turned past range . I can only assume this happened while being bore sighted at Cabellas.
They put a note with the scope telling me not to go more than 20 clicks in any direction. It shot great after the fix but had the same symptoms as yours before the fix.

I had that same scope on a 25-06 Ruger No. 1 that I purchased at Cabellas.I fought with that gun for almost 6 months before trying another scope. Sent the Elete back and found out that it had been stressed by being turned past range . I can only assume this happened while being bore sighted at Cabellas.
They put a note with the scope telling me not to go more than 20 clicks in any direction. It shot great after the fix but had the same symptoms as yours before the fix.

Well, I still haven't been able to lay my hands on a box of Fed GMMM but I did remount the scope as per Tank's video instructions and although the rifle & scope 'felt' much easier to look thru and much less awkward to shoot, the groups were still scattered in what I can only call a random fashion. Really suspicious of the scope now but feel like I should try & shoot a group of the Fed rounds b4 I pull the scope because that would really point to either the scope or the barrel unless the torque on the action hold downs has to be adjusted differently for each rifle. If this turns out to be the case it seems like a very difficult and expensive process to go through and one that quite frankly would influence me to feel like Savage ought to take all these rifles back and get them right b4 offering them for sale. I sure hope that's not gonna be the case!

I'd sure try another scope, any scope, just to see if it improves the groups. It is really frustrating and not to mention hard on confidance. you wonder on every shot if it was you or the gun or scope or the ammo. Been there and done that. good luck and I'm sure you will figure it out !!

Last edited:
thanks Tank. by the way do you have any other videos like tha?
as for the savage issue.: i havent played with savages new system for holding actions in stocks., but a though is bed the rifle and then the issue of 'special torque' may not be there anymore.
just a thought

thanks Tank. by the way do you have any other videos like tha?
as for the savage issue.: i havent played with savages new system for holding actions in stocks., but a though is bed the rifle and then the issue of 'special torque' may not be there anymore.
just a thought

That's a vid I found through accurateshooter.com. Check that sight out. They have a ton of good info.

Tank

Ok, so I shot 2, 3 round groups w/ both the Fed and Hornaday Match grade ammo w/ the Model 11 long range hunter and the groups are still poor. So I removed the Bushnell 4200 Elite Tactical and the rings and rail. I did shoot 3 groups with my Mueller equipped Model 12 22-250 just to make sure that my portable bench or some other thing wasn't behind the model 11's poor grouping problem b4 I remove the Mueller scope from the 22-250 to put on the model 11 to see what gives. The 2 groups from the 22-250 were roughly .5 MOA.
Kind of hate to take the scope off of the 22-250 to check the 308 to find out if the problem is coming from the Bushnell 4200 but I don't have any other good choices.
What's anybody's guess as to how much I will have readjust my data table for the 22-250 when I finally get my Mueller back on it? Thanks, -Andy

P.S. I can't back out the allen heads in the rings for the Mueller because the cheap little allen wrench strips itself, the set screw heads themselves look fine. I did order an 'accurizing' torque wrench set from Midway, hoping the bits that come with it are better quality than the wrench that came w/ the rings. Any other suggestions?

Love my LRH 308 I shooT out to 900 yards with a Accupoint on it, I use Reload 15 with Molly SMK 175 get .05. I would like to get a tactical stock hard to find because of the hinge floor plate. Any one have tactical stock recombination for the Savage LRH ?

Love my LRH 308 I shooT out to 900 yards with a Accupoint on it, I use Reload 15 with Molly SMK 175 get .05. I would like to get a tactical stock hard to find because of the hinge floor plate. Any one have tactical stock recombination for the Savage LRH ?

Call Kevin Rayhill at Stockade Stocks. He specializes in stocks for Savages. They are built well and feel real good in the hands.

Tank

i had problems getting good groups with the superperformance also. i went back remingtons and my groups tightened right back up. i shoot a 7mag

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.