Need Help choosing new scope

AR10_65WSM

I need help making a choice for a new scope and have some questions, as this will be my first long range scope.
1) Which power scope would be best 2.5-10, 4.5-16 or 6X20?
2) Price is important, but I am looking in the $1400 or less range.
3) What would be a good all around reticle for target/hunting

The rifle it will go on is a 26" barreled custom AR10 chambered for a wildcat based on the 7WSM necked to 6.5, If all goes well it should do about 3100-3200 fps with a 140gr bullet. It is mostly going to be a target gun (200-1000 yds)but I may do some long range hunting with it. I like the Leupold 54560,54680 also the Nightforce 5.5-22x50 and the Zeiss 5214559943. I have not been able to find a dealer in my area that stocks these higher end scopes so I can not make a choice by comparing them side by side. Thanks again, and sorry for the newbe questions.

If I had 1400 to spend on a scope, I would look at the NF NXS probably first. The 5.5x22x50 has the most moa, but depending on how for you want to shoot, you could get away with the more powerful but less moa versions and say a sloped base, if available for the ar-10. While 10x will work at 1,000yds, more power is better say 20x or even more. You are even in the low price range of the S&B scopes, some argue they are the best glass available, but NF's are hard to beat, and probably a best buy for the money. And there is always the Leupolds, Burris and others.
My personal fav. is the, www.Horusvision.com scopes. Unique reticle system worth taking a look at, you could even get the reticle of your choice in a S&B, Leupold,... ect.
Interesting rifle/cal. setup. I have been pondering making an identical gun, be sure and post with updates.
Good shooting. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

AR10, go with the a Nightforce 5.5x22x56 NXS. I own three Nightforce NXS scopes, and I must say I will never use anything else. In my opinion, they are the best overall scope. My next pick would be Leupold.

Good Luck
Wildcat

Thanks everyone for the info, I went ahead and ordered the Nightforce 5.5-22X50 with the np-r2 reticle. I should have it Monday I will test it and give a report on it soon.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.