Need Help Changing Barrel...........

bigbuck

Here is what I hope to accomplish I had the local gunsmith take off my remington 300 ultra sendero barrel and he installed a custom barrel so now I have my factory barrel just setting in the corner of my loading room . It turnes out my friend is buying a 300 rum with a skinny barrel on it ,so were going to attemp to put my fat barrel on it for him .

Question 1. will it be as simple as screwing my barrel down until it bottems out on the recoil lug?

Question2. If not can you explain the steps it takes to do this correctly?

Question 3. What kind of home made device do you use to take off your barrels with?

Thanks Big Buck

1) Maybe, but probably not.

2) The barrel will need to be properly headspaced, for a Remmy this requires either deepening the chamber or shortening the tenon depending on which way you need to go. Either will most likely require a lathe.

3) You'll need a barrel vice and an action wrench, you can get by with a home made barrel vice, but I would suggest buying the action wrench.

I would just take it to a smith and have him do it, only cost a little more than good barrel vice and an action wrench.

Chris

Finally, thanks for the reply winmagman. Your right but if I don't learn how to do it now then I'm never going to learn and I don't want to have to always rely on the gun smith to do it for me. I really feel like it can be done with out a lathe (but I'm not a gun smith) so , Can you explain to me what you mean by shortening the tenon is that shortening the threads? Thanks again for the reply...

BIGBUCK

I'm not a gunsmith either but I'll give this a shot. If your headspace is too long you need to move the shoulder area of the chamber back towards the bolt face. To do this with a Remmy you will need to shorten the tenon(treaded end) and move the shoulder that butts up to the front of recoil lug towards the muzzle end of the barrel. Basically that lets you screw the barrel in further thus shortening the headspace.

If you're lucky your headspace will be a little short, then as I understand things you could just rent a reamer and CAREFULLY deepen the chamber to the proper headspace. If you do go slow and measure often.

If you're really really lucky the heavy barrel will just screw on and fit perfectly....I've never had that kind of luck.

With all that said, keep in mind I've never actually done this, just read/heard it's do able. I'm sure someone with more knowledge will chime in shortly.

Chris

I agree with everything winmagman stated. One other thought, are you planning on using his stock? the chances are slim (no pun intended) that some work will be needed there for a fit at all, and more work for a good fit. All in all, it's your friends rifle, if you are giving him the barrel, let him pay a gunsmith to have it done right, the first time. We need to support our smiths! The work will be a lot cheaper if he doesn't have to fix the job, before he does the job. Good luck which ever way you go!

brassprep, I'm pretty sure that we will have to float the barrel as the stock will probably be to skinny, but I've done that to my HS already. I know a gunsmith that's very old and he's fixen to retire I may ask him if he would be willing to teach me, maybe pay him as he lets me do the actual work (his way of course) . That would be the best way i could learn.

Bigbuck

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.