NEED HELP!!! 700 Bolt Broke Off w/ Live Round (308)

So you would just ruin the barrel and bolt? There is no part of the cartridge exposed through the Gas port.
He has already got the live round out of the gun by unscrewing the barrel.
At the time I sent the text he was trying to figure out a safe way to kill the round before tryin to remove it.... on a 700 Remington action ... on the right hand side of the receiver between the barrel and the loading port there is a gas relief port where gas can escape in the event of a ruptured case.... this is the port I'm talking about...If you look in the hole when a round is loaded( but the lugs are not locked completely in ) you can see the cartridge case. You can take a small drill bit , slowly drill a hole in the cartilage case.(put a little water in the hole to keep it cool)....I'm talking about the cartridge case... not the bolt, not the barrel not the receiver , just the thin wall of the cartridge case. The only thing you trash is the round that is stuck in the chamber.... if the round is completely locked in with the lugs turn down this is impossible . It was not stated at what point the bolt broke, apparently they were not completely down or he wouldn't of had a problem with it. I will try to be more detailed with future post. I didn't take into account that people are so judgmental . Or better yet I will just ask for advice and not give any. Sorry my bad!

At the time I sent the text he was trying to figure out a safe way to kill the round before tryin to remove it.... on a 700 Remington action ... on the right hand side of the receiver between the barrel and the loading port there is a gas relief port where gas can escape in the event of a ruptured case.... this is the port I'm talking about...If you look in the hole when a round is loaded( but the lugs are not locked completely in ) you can see the cartridge case. You can take a small drill bit , slowly drill a hole in the cartilage case.(put a little water in the hole to keep it cool)....I'm talking about the cartridge case... not the bolt, not the barrel not the receiver , just the thin wall of the cartridge case. The only thing you trash is the round that is stuck in the chamber.... if the round is completely locked in with the lugs turn down this is impossible . It was not stated at what point the bolt broke, apparently they were not completely down or he wouldn't of had a problem with it. I will try to be more detailed with future post. I didn't take into account that people are so judgmental . Or better yet I will just ask for advice and not give any. Sorry my bad!
I don't want to sound harsh and it's not my intent at all if you have good advice please do not stop giving it I personally would never attempt to drill into a live round . I have had a problem with being offended once or twice myself we must grow thick skin but remember someone is on the receiving end of this advice and if they do not know any better they may be Seriously injured by receiving some bad advice

The " gas relief port" on a remington is NOT drilled into the chamber, so there is no possible way this will work.

A

All advice is appreciated. Like everyone that responded without seeing things it is hard to give a 100% surefire response. Thanks again for your contribution.

If you have ever looked at the end of a R700 barrel you would know this is not true.
Here is the tenon on a 700 barrel and the nose of the bolt that fits into the counter bore of the breech end of the barrel. The headspace gauge duplicates the cartridge. You can see that you would have to go through the threads on the barrel, then you would have to go through the nose of the bolt that goes into the counter bore near the chamber. The bolt nose, the counter bore in the breech of the barrel and the action diameter are the 3 rings that Remington touts as a safety design. The hole you would need to drill would be at least .200"-.250" below the face of the gauge or barrel.
1594492741600.png

1594492803700.png

Furthermore, I don't know what you think you see when looking in the gas relief hole but I can tell you it wasn't the cartridge. That hole is closely aligned with the whole you see on the side of the bolt head in the picture above which is designed to relieve any pressure that enters the inside of the bolt from a catastrophic event or pierced primer.

Last edited:
If you have ever looked at the end of a R700 barrel you would know this is not true.
Here is the tenon on a 700 barrel and the nose of the bolt that fits into the counter bore of the breech end of the barrel. The headspace gauge duplicates the cartridge. You can see that you would have to go through the threads on the barrel, then you would have to go through the nose of the bolt that goes into the counter bore near the chamber. The bolt nose, the counter bore in the breech of the barrel and the action diameter are the 3 rings that Remington touts as a safety design. The whole you would need to drill would be at least .200"-.250" below the face of the gauge or barrel. View attachment 203001
View attachment 203002
Furthermore, I don't know what you think you see when looking in the gas relief hole but I can tell you it wasn't the cartridge. That hole is closely aligned with the whole you see on the side of the bolt head in the picture above which is designed to relieve any pressure that enters the inside of the bolt from a catastrophic event or pierced primer.
Yes known as the three rings of safety and I would never ever ever think of drilling into a live round OMG

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts