need a barrel 4 encore

Ariver-RAT

Hello.
I am need some help I'm making a decision. My job has brought me to all this flat, long range land. (NE Az.) I need a Barrel for my encore;243. 22/250, 6mmbr , 220 swift ,then you have the AI's.
Back home just a 400yd shoot was the most I could find. Here 500+ easy. So with all my ramblings, what is the opinion of the wiser masses? I'm leaning to the 243.AI 24"- 26" (twist?) barrel pushing @75GR pill. Have not chose any thing yet, just wanted to field some opinions.
Thanks.

Well the first question is what is it that your hunting? I assume that with your caliber coices its some sort of varmint shooting or paper punching.

The 243 and the 243 Ai will serve you well if you can finde sombody to make you one with a 1-8 twist , I say the 1-8 because the heavier VLD stye bullets will shoot better for you at the longer ranges but if your shooting in limited to 500-600yds then the 75-85gr pills would work fine out of a 1-10 twist.
The Encore can be made to shoot very well as long as some things are payed attention to. Have your forend bedded or a hanger bar installed , swap out your hinge pin for an over sized unit from Ballm and have the trigger worked over.

match grade machine MGM made my 8 twist 243 win. the turnaround was 5 weeks shilen match grade barrel . its 21 inch factory heavy 6 flutes about $600 its very acuurate!! i had a hanger matched to the barrel and the trigger done to 2 1/2 pounds by stratton custom i would reccomend them . there both in hurricane ut.

james j a little side bar do yo know of anyone that has tried the acurracy pin from ed brown co. edbco
JIM

Last edited:
Db,
What i have heard from the guys on the SP forum is if you intend to use an oversize stay with Bellm's

river rat,
Definitely agree with James. Fast twist barrel with the heavier VLD's is the way to go for longer ranges.

I have already reworked my trigger; a kit from Bellem. Sweeet. Got some <sized pins left from the, .50 cal helped a lot. Will defentally use them.

Ariver Rat

Look at Natchez Shooters Supplies they have the Cheapest Price on Encore barrel .

Then you can Ream them out to what ever you want

Encore HB 26 in SST for $243.14

Encore HB 26 in Blue for $217.08

I bought an 7 Mag HB SS an Rechamber it to an 7 mm STW .

you can call them at 1 800 251 7839

Redbone

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.