Neck turn new nosler brass?

jca57jd

Hey guys I just got all my supplies in to start reloading for my new 6.5 creedmoor. I bought the whidden gun works bushing die and micro seater. I'm wanting to reload the highest grade ammo I can and I dont want to take short cuts! Should I be neck turning this brass before I pick my bushing size? Does nosler brass require neck turning? What is your normal procedure with brand new brass for the best results on keeping everything consistent? I'm pretty good with most of the reloading process but neck turning is one area of weakness.

If yours is a tight neck chamber, you need to neck turn. If not, it is usually a waste of time and $$. I would trim to about .005" below factory length, champfer in and out, expand inside necks for uniformity, load, and shoot em. I know nothing about Nosler brass. I buy only Lapua brass.

Last edited:
My personal experience with Nosler brass is that it is very uniform around the neck, so doesn't need to be neck turned. I normally just run the expander ball through the new brass to ensure that the neck is round. After the first firing, the expander ball is removed from the die and I use the bushing to size the neck.

I've got some Winchester brass that is visibly different in thickness from one side to the other that I neck turn.

-David

Great subject that always brings a lot of GOOD conversation to the plate.

Neck turning - Necessary???

As previously stated, if you have a tightneck chamber, then, yes, you must neck turn.

What is the purpose of neck turning though? IMHO, provides consistent neck tension.

Does your barrel need neck turning? Maybe

Does your brass need neck turning? Maybe.

I've got some Winchester brass that is visibly different in thickness from one side to the other that I neck turn.

-David

I got some Norma brass I didn't bother to turn. Recently I got some Win that also varied from .011.-014+. Several pieces went into the junk tub. I only turn for rifles with custom barrels.

Hey guys I just got all my supplies in to start reloading for my new 6.5 creedmoor. I bought the whidden gun works bushing die and micro seater. I'm wanting to reload the highest grade ammo I can and I dont want to take short cuts! Should I be neck turning this brass before I pick my bushing size? Does nosler brass require neck turning? What is your normal procedure with brand new brass for the best results on keeping everything consistent? I'm pretty good with most of the reloading process but neck turning is one area of weakness.
jca57jd,
Nosler has already weigh sorted the brass and also sorted by neck wall thickness. Unless you have a tight neck rifle that requires neck turning. NO. This brass is made for reloaders that do not want to do case prep. Just load the cases.

Thanks for the replies guys! This is a factory ruger precision. I'm going to move forward without neck turning. When I bought my the brass originally i didn't know what the going rate was for nosler brass. After I looked it up on the internet I was getting a decent deal on it so I wheat back at bought 2 more boxes in the same lot # (200 cases total). I sure hope this is just as good as lupua! Thanks again guys.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts