Neck size or full length size for accuracy!

Rogmay

I wanted to get some feedback on what a lot of you shooters do and like on neck sizing vs. full length sizing each time for better accuracy and your reasons behind it, thanks for your input!

This has been beat to death and you can search dozens of threads.

IMO If you have to ask, then FL size.

It is 100% reliable, proven to be accurate that is what you want. 90% plus of the BR shooters in both short and long range are FL sizing.

The key is they are using custom honed or dies that "match" their chambers and give them minimal sizing while still bumping the shoulders. All the dies are neck bushing dies also.

IF you try to NS only, you will screw up eventually and get a hard chamber, bolt lift and miss a shot at an animal or target.

So in a perfect world, a "matching" FL neck die gives you the most uniform fit with minimal sizing, the best reliability and least work on a case. The current World record for 1000 (5 shots in 1.4- inches with perfect 50 and 5x) was shot with cases that were FL sized 54 times the record was shot but with matching dies. It does not get any better than that and that settles the accuracy issue.

You can buy a body bump die, fire cases 3x and send to Jim Carstenson at JLC Precision and he will hone that die and convert it to FL bushing to perfectly match your chamber for under $100.

BountyHunter, thanks for the reply, that is he type of responses I'm looking for, it's not that I 'm not sure what I'm doing, I've just always NS, but lately I've been reeding about a lot of FL guys out there and having as good or better luck! I'm sure it's been a beat to death subject as a lot of you have been shooting long range longer than I have, but we all have to start and learn from someone and somewhere! I do like the idea of the custom dies, makes sense. Once again, thanks for the input, I'm just trying to put together as much input as I can to make the best overall decisions.

just do a search in google titled "Full length or neck size your brass longrangehunting"
or do the search in the upper right hand corner of this website. I like using google myself.

You will find all kinds of threads on it.

This has been beat to death and you can search dozens of threads.

IMO If you have to ask, then FL size.

It is 100% reliable, proven to be accurate that is what you want. 90% plus of the BR shooters in both short and long range are FL sizing.

The key is they are using custom honed or dies that "match" their chambers and give them minimal sizing while still bumping the shoulders. All the dies are neck bushing dies also.

IF you try to NS only, you will screw up eventually and get a hard chamber, bolt lift and miss a shot at an animal or target.

So in a perfect world, a "matching" FL neck die gives you the most uniform fit with minimal sizing, the best reliability and least work on a case. The current World record for 1000 (5 shots in 1.4- inches with perfect 50 and 5x) was shot with cases that were FL sized 54 times the record was shot but with matching dies. It does not get any better than that and that settles the accuracy issue.

You can buy a body bump die, fire cases 3x and send to Jim Carstenson at JLC Precision and he will hone that die and convert it to FL bushing to perfectly match your chamber for under $100.
^^^ This.

If you don't want to go through the trouble of getting a matching die, you can set up your sizing dies to minimally FL size by limiting the amount of shoulder bump to .001-.002". This will ensure that your brass fits and chambers smoothly. This works for me and I'm not happy with anything larger than 1/2 MOA at 300 yards in my personal rifles.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.