N570 and the 6.5x284.

WildBillG

I made a trade the other day. Traded my 6.5x55 Win M 70 Feather Weight for a Savage112 F class in 6.5x284. Plus brass and dies coming my way. What I am wondering is do any of you 6.5x284 shooters use N570. According to Quick Load it gives real good velocities with 140 grn bullets. So is it a powder I should try or are there better choices.

According to VV N570 was designed for cartrages like the 6.5x284. That is why I am asking. I do have a good supply of RL26 on hand and some Retumbo so I can experiment to see what works best.

N500 Series burns very, very hot. Throat life is short on the 6.5/284, to begin with. If you only shoot 20 rounds per year, I would not sweat it, but you will see a noticeable increase in seating depth every 50 rounds when shooting this powder. I learned a very hard lesson with the 220 Swift shooting N550, like shooting battery acid.

Maybe a 150gr or heavier bullet would be better suited for using n570....

I don't know for sure...I run rl23 in mine with 142 & 140s

Short necks increase throat wear, you can take that to the bank.
.....so if short necks promote 'more throat wear'.....would seating a bullet deeper lessen some of the throat wear in a short neck....and would a long neck and longer jump also reduce throat wear????

So I put over 4800 rounds down a 6.5x284 before it fell on its face. I was using mainly hybrid 100v which from what I see on another post is pretty cool burning. Maybe that's why it lasted so long, but I was only shooting 1/2 MOA and never tried for any better since for me this is good hunting accuracy. I also shot it a lot for fun during the off season. Man a lot of 140 Berger's running at 2880 went down that barrel. Never got consistent with retumbo and RL26 was hit and miss. H4831 was also spot on but I had to run it harder pressure to get the same velocity as hybrid 100v. This was my take on the 6.5. Still have it just need to re-barrel it. Also wanted to keep it looking the same or a carbon fiber would be nice but don't have the funds for this right now. Also I have 2 other closet queens to play with.

.....so if short necks promote 'more throat wear'.....would seating a bullet deeper lessen some of the throat wear in a short neck....and would a long neck and longer jump also reduce throat wear????
PO Ackley spoke of an "interference Point" where you draw lines on the shoulder, and the further back in the case neck the lines intersect, the less throat wear occurs. I verified this theory by comparing the 243 Win and the 6 Remington, then again in making 6 XC cases with .400 length necks with corresponding chamber neck length. Shooting H4350 Exclusively in the 6 XC long neck, the leade only grew .007 in 900 wounds with a corresponding throat dia. only increasing .0002. I am still shooting the barrel. I formed the brass from Lapua Palma brass and have 300 firings on 30 pieces of brass using Rem 7 1/2 primers, Sierra 107, Hornady 105 A max, Berger 105-108s.

Since AA2700 has a very similar burning rate of H4350 with a MUCH cooler Heat Index, I am going to try 2700 next.

At 900 rounds, the throat still looks newish, while my 6 Dasher of the same mileage looks to have some serious wear with H4895 using Berger 105-108.

I haven;t trued the n570 yet. How ever I now have good supply of n568. It gave mee super velocity and good accuracy in my7RM. So I may give ut a go in the 6.5x384. It should perform well with the 32 inch barrel on rhe rifle. N560 looks promising using 156 Bergers./ Imr 4831 worked well with the 153.5s. I got a .198 inch 3 shot group and it was right close to that as I increased the charge. B I have very little of it and it is 90 dollars a pound here if you find it. Vihtavouru is 154 a dilo so much cheaper and easier to fond. A kilogram equals 2.2 pounds/