my benchmark built 280ai

splattermatic

finally got a camera to take pics again.
here she is...

lilja #4 contour, benchmark 3 groove, 1-9 twist, 26" fluted stainless barrel.
screwed into a blueprinted remmy l/a, with an o/s lug pinned on, chambered in 280 ai.
the guys at benchmark took real good care of me and did a great job, to make a great shooting rifle.
see pics in the elk hunting forum....

she has draw 1st blood with a 140 grain barnes tipped tsx.

280ai1.jpg

and some custom touches

280ai3.jpg

and right side

280ai2.jpg

i had bought it years ago from midway, iirc ?
it's a fajen "timberland" stock, looks good and fits me well..

was pillar bedded and i added some accuglas to fit it all up tight.

Last edited:
Great pics. That's a very nice rifle. I'm lucky and live about 20min away from Benchmark. I got their first 3-groove 7mm (.284") barrel and it shoots increadably well. How far have you tested yours out to? Have you tried the 168gr Berger VLD's they work well in my rifle (7wsm) and you should have simular MV.

you using imr4350 ?
ron, said he asked a guy who had the same barrel about powders and that's what he said he was using.

i tried the 140 vld's and can't get to shoot better than an inch, so i stayed with the barnes's..

i've shot mine just to 550 yards on the gongs at my range.
i had a b&c reticle put in at the time of the lasering, and it matched real well sighted in 1" high at 100, dead on at 200, 2" low at 330 yards, 2" low at 440, and guess the tipped tsx flies great as i hit dead on at 550 yards using the b&c reticle.

nice rifle , and i'm thinking of getting ron to make me a 6.5 - 284 next..

Yes, Ron was probably talking about me. I use H4350. The accuracy of their barrels is exceptional. You may have already seen this but I have a video of it in this thread...

http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f17/7wsm-video-36547/#post246465

I have another video with it I'll probably post soon. I've used it to shoot clay pigeons at 1037yds (best string so far is 4 in a row). If the conditions are good it's not difficult. Enjoy your rifle and keep us posted on any further developments. I might go 280 AI on my next build (I'd like a little better barrel life than the 7wsm).

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.