Muzzy mx3

telkev

Has anyone tried the new mx3 broadheads? I've used Muzzy 3 blade 100's for years with no problems. I decided to buy some new ones, so I bought the latest and greatest mx3's. They plane so bad out of my bow, your lucky to hit the target at 25 yards. Won't shoot with any arrow combination that I have. Got ****ed at them and put my old broadheads back on and they shoot perfect. Anyone had this problem?

I tried the Muzzys with the same results. I switched to the 2 blade Rage broadheads. My brother in law got one a few days ago and the hole that it punched in that deer was amazing. I have rifles that don't leave that kind of exit wound. She went less than 10 yards before piling up. If I can figure out how to post pictures, I will.

Thanks for the replies. Now I don't feel like I missed something. I guess its the design difference with the wider blades and more surface area of the mx series. I even tried them with some 5" right helical feathers, the feathers helped but they still would not outshoot my old setup with the 3 blade 100 gr. muzzy's and broadhead vanes. Gave one to a friend of mine that said his bow and arrow combination would shoot anything, he still hasn't found that arrow.

I lost a huge 9 point probably in the 150 class about 8yrs ago due to the crap that Muzzy sells , I was shooting a 4 blade 90gr and I made a near perfect shot on the deer. The buck was at 12-15yds broads side feeding the arrow hit in the upper 1/3 of his ribs jst behind the shoulder the exit should have been in the lower 1/4 of the off side. Total pass through with nice bright bubbly blood. I waited for almost 2 hrs for the guide to pic me up before I left the stand , we trailed the deer for 50yds with very little blood then the trail dried up. The guide asked if I had used a dull broad head and I showed him that I had just changed all the blades the night before after checking the heads I found that they were pretty dull considering what they are intended for. I called muzzy about the problem and they were like oh well , diden't even offer to replace them with good blades.

I now shoot big Rocket expandables when I can use them and Razor caps when I have to shoot fixed blades and haven't lost an animal since. The trend for getting more and more speed out of these bows had made proper bow tuning and arrow tuning very critical , the slightest out of ballance of miss alignment of your head will cause MAJOR trouble with arrow flight

Muzzy?

I've had nothing but great results from muzzy. Provided I point them at the right spot they perform well. Not sure about the newer broadheads. I prefer the lower angled blades like the originals. Never had a failure.

Lance

OK JJ you done it now! Sorry bout your 9 point but I'd bet single lung over dull broadhead.

9 deer all kinda shots.... some may call unethical ...6 hogs.....
broadhead 4 blade Muzzy 90!....found em all!

Nastiest hole ever made was by a Vortec 100 2 blade expandable!

By the way how much speed you gettin outa you bow?

Your absolutly right NYLES , I had given the shot angle alot of thought and figured that maybe I had hit the on side lung realy high and missed the off side on the exit making the blood have to exit the top of the lung and fill the chest cavity to exit out of the bottom exit hole. I was still realy dissapointed witht he sharpness of the blades and butt head I talked to about the problem.
I have tried the newer Grimm Reaper heads with good success and they shoot pretty good locked open as well.

I'm shooting a Bowtech VFT Samsom at 104lbs and my arrows are in the 530+gr range so I'm just over the IBO 5gr per lb of draw weight and its shooting around 310fps-ish, I have cranked the weight up to 113lbs with the bolts bottomed out and shooting a 500gr arrow got 342fps but it was LOUD !! I get great accuracy and its not to loud at this weight. he Rockets I shoot are the 3 blade Hammer head with a bigger "bone buster" tip replaced , it cuts a 2" hle thats simply awsome.
I have reciently stitched my fixed blade heads from the Magnus Snuffer to the newer Razor Caps , they fly realy well and offer alot of flexibility with weight adjustment from light to heavy , in the 150+gr range

Good lord what a bow! Think its big enough?

Still shooting my Mathews Black max 2 at 70 getting 328 with a 370 gr arrow. Thinking of converting it to a 60 pounder and add the turbo cam.

I guess you just knock em down and whatch em flop with that monster? WOW!

Double Muzzy

I got a double the other night both with Muzzy 100gr three blade broadheads. These make number six and seven for hogs this year. Hopefully see some bucks soon as the rut is just about to kick off here in east Texas.

Lance

2wn8njm.jpg

Well not as great a story but Ill tell you all what me and nephew did yesterday. Got in stands about 1000am (hunting the lunar tables 12-2) around 1130 had a Bobcat at about 30 yards, he caught me at 3/4 draw but I let one fly anyway missed by a inch. Didnt think much of it but I wanted to move my stand anyhow. About then nephew had big boar run past him, no shot. 330pmish He had a doe at 60 yards never got into his range. 500pm Im starting to wonder whats up here! 8 hours gets ruff on the lower back, stand stretch for the last hour or so. Sit back down watch the squirrels for a bit. 600pm hear what sounds like a truck come through the woods YEA Im thinkin hear comes a hog. hog wasnt the word more like "HAWG" big 250 300lb boar headed right to me ...I stand and start my draw he stops...in the perfect spot 25 yrds...I come on to full draw on him...bout that time he starts moving I put it on the front of his shoulder let it fly....thump! He heads straigh towards Newphew. I YELL big hog comin at ya! Then I hear thump!..."I hit him!"

I get down round up my arrow...semi bloody wet...."gut shot".....Newphews arrow no exit heard it splapping bushes for a bit when hog left us. About 60 yards find half of his arrow Good foamy blood...We got a chance of finding this big fellow.

Call buddy bring the lights we got one to trail, he says on my way...we round up stands and equipment while we wait...we are a mile deep in the woods(SWAMP) here so had time waiting on lights.

We trailed for about 300 yards and he made it to the big creek all hope was lost...it rained all week and the creek was up so had no choice but give up.

Just a day in the woods!

Got a phone call shortly after posting this seems nephew went home and got in a tree on the back 40, took a 6 point sunday afternoon Ill post a pic if I get one!

Last edited:
bow hunting

Niles it sounds like you and your nephew are having a really good time. I am curious have you ever taken a slow moving dog back with you after a shot, such as a beagle?. sometimes even a house dog will nose around enough to help steer you in the right direction when your tracking an animal. Please don't take this the wrong way I will admit i have also lost a deer after what I though was a perfect shot. This is why I don't hunt in the rain as often as I used to. Tony

I have used everything from a beagle to a Golden ret only issue I ever have with a dog is the time involved going home and getting one. Sam my current black lab is going to school this year as soon as I kill a deer I wanna try and train him to trail blood. He just turned 3 and some say thats to late but he also just has got the dumb puppy out of his behavior. He will actually do what he's told. Gonna give it a try anyway.

I too have lost deer trying to trail with a dog, sometimes there just isnt any other way.

As far as a bow in the rain...I just dont do it anymore...the creek part in that story was it had rained all week prior making it impossible to trail any further.....this creek had been worked by the army engineers has 20 foot banks that a man on foot simply cant get across it.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.