Muzzle brake

JB300wsm

The best way to learn is to ask, Gentleman,I have shot 30 cal. Rifles all my life and love them.I live in the south and hunt mostly in Fl.,Ga. And Alabama.For the last 8 years I have used a300 wsm (150 gr.) with kills of 400 to 600 yards every year, I shoot a Tikka T3/w a Ziess Conquest. I am wanting to build a long range custom hunting rifle in this round, the rifle does not kick , but I have had some surgery on my shoulder and will always have problems with it. My ? is when I build this rifle and have a muzzle brake installed, will it change accuracy in my rifle for the better or worse? Thanks Guys for your info(Praise God every day with out him we are nothing!)

Can it? -yes
Will it? -maybe
Will point of impact be different? -probably

Here's where you run into the age old delima of thin factory barrels. Some folks have noticed a slight drop of accuracy when they have a brake installed on a factory barrel. Most haven't had any issue what so ever.

Id highly recomend Jim See's "Muscle brake" for this aplication. His newest creation is a touch longer than the "Mini Muscle brake" but smaller than the 4 port Magnum. He developed it for almost exactly what your looking to do.
I had the Mini installed on my 300WSM Semi Custom, but that was just before the release of his newest brake.

Jim (a.k.a. "coyboy" here on LRH) owns Centershot rifles gunsmith shop, & is a Highly credible smith, & proprietor. He's down south.
As far as awesome gunsmiths down south are concerned, Ted, ("shortgrass" here on LRH) who is another renouned smith who did my build is down south as well. He owns Teds Custom shop. Now he doesn't have a signature muzzle brake, but he's an Amazing smith, & I highly recomend him. Hey, I even shipped my rifle to him all the way from Oregon. Ya, he's good.

Kirby Allen (a.k.a. ""fiftydriver" here on LRH) offers the "Painkiller brake". Kirby is the inventor of the Allen Magnum, & AX wildcat cartriges, & is a leader in Cartrige Design, Custom Actions -Raptor- , & Muzzle brake technology. He's in Montana.

Shawn Carlok (Shawn Carlok here on LRH) offered the Defensive Edge brake. Shawn is the developer of the 338/300RUM wildcat, & named it the 338 Edge. He's in Idaho.

These are the best timed brakes available anywhere in the world, & every one of them is VERY Effective at reducing recoil.
As you may already know, "timed brakes" are simply side, or side, & top discharge brakes, developed specifically for recoil reduction, & spotting your shots at long range, vs "radial brakes" like Vias, or b.o.s.s. that throw dirt all over your optics & equipment etc. while shooting prone. Radial brakes are effective too, but I wouldn't own one for the above mentioned reasons. To spend big $$$ on optics, & specialized equipment, & then go "throw dirt all over them" with a radial brake, just doesn't make sense to me.

You've found a great place here at LRH, as the above mentioned folks are members here, & can & will happily answer any questions you may have. Just send them a P.M.

Good luck, & welcome to LRH!gun)

Last edited:
I thank you Sir for the info,never needed a muzzle brake or owned one. I just wanna build a accurate rifle for hunting.I have seen a lot of threads here before joining and like the tude here .Thanks again keep um shooting!

I here ya. I've never put a brake on any of my rifles till my latest one. From 338 Win Mag & 300 Wby on down, I never needed one. But my perspective changed after trying one out. What a joy to shoot Magnus with non magnum recoil at long range. It's just more comfy imo, & for me personally, a looser shooting style equates to tighter groups.

Good luck.

JB300wsm,

Welcome to LRH and enjoy!

Winmag started you very well on the right path. Muzzle brakes are not just for reducing felt recoil anymore, with today's muzzle brake designs like the ones noted, the muzzle jump is also significantly reduced thus allowing you to see impact on your target and also makes target re-acquisition easier for a follow up shot, if necessary.

However, muzzle brakes are not for everyone, please note that it is going to be very loud and hearing protection more than ever is a must. Also, you must be constantly aware of the muzzle blasts ... the person next to you will definitely appreciate it! :D

In addition to installing an effective muzzle brake, there are also aftermarket recoil pads, i.e. Limbsaver (http://www.limbsaver.com/firearms/recoil.php) that will further reduced the felt recoil. Furthermore, you also use a shooting recoil pad, like ...
pas_3000-10.jpg

... I'm sure your shoulder would appreciate it too! However, this will change your LOP.

BTW, I too just had a recent shoulder surgery.

Good luck!

Ed

G'Day Fella's,

JB300WSM, I have more spinal injuries, than I have fingers.
Given this, you can understand that I don't enjoy recoil!

Because of this, I have tracked down and fitted a variety of soft recoil pads over the years but the Pachmayr XLT, would have to take the cake! I have only recently fitted one to my Rem Mod 673 in .350 Rem Mag and another to my Weatherby Mk V in .340 Weatherby Mag.
I'm a Mechanical Fitter Machinist etc by trade, so I have also designed and machined up some muzzle brakes, for the above and other rifles.
The combination of the XLT recoil pad and the muzzle brake, reduces the recoil to a level that makes my rifles pleasant to shoot!

Well actually I lied, the little .350 Rem Mag, is still a hand full!!!

I hope that helps

Doh!
Homer

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.