Mule Deer SD, or North?

MI.264

Anyone Hunt Muley's in North or South Dakota
Looking for are, recommendation's where to hunt
anything you can tell me about what needs to be done ect...

Anyone Hunt Muley's in North or South Dakota
Looking for are, recommendation's where to hunt
anything you can tell me about what needs to be done ect...
I don't know if you're new to hunting… but hunters especially now a days where tags are harder to get and public land units are crowded, aren't going to want to help give away information.

Best I can say is if you want to know where to hunt, check out the state hunting information and look at the map of the units for the game species you plan on chasing. That's always a good way to start.

Last edited:
ND archery - drew tag in 2017 with 2 others as group first time we submitted. We hunted first week of Sept and although we all had shot chances, it was 93-95 EVERY day which was brutal. Hydration was paramount to hunting. Extremely dry turned into Red Flag conditions which prohibits off road driving, no smoking, no camp fires etc. It was hard hunting in hot dry weather. Oh yeah, even CO that stopped to talk to me and stated locals don't hunt to until first hard freeze. Why? RATTLERS!! We all had encounters. We all wore snake gaiters which were hot as can be. I thought about removing them until one let me know prob not a good idea when I got too close walking out after dark. BTW I set World Record Sidestep Leap cause of that.
Mule deer are there, hard hunting in extreme heat. I would hold off to hunt archery until later in season. We hunted the Medora area and stayed at a motel/bunkhouse. Place was full of hunters. If not for heat, it would have been much more enjoyable.

I don't know if you're new to hunting… but hunters especially now a days where tags are harder to get and public lane units are crowded, aren't going to want to help give away information.

Best I can say is if you want to know where to hunt, check out the state hunting information and look at the map of the units for the game species you plan on chasing. That's always a good way to start.
I can understand that. I guess I was thinking because it might not be a yearly trip that someone would shed some light on where they went and whether they did any good, or not. But you're correct, I don't tell people where I trout fish

For larger tracts of public land, look at the northwest quadrant of South Dakota. Vast prairies out that way and lots of public land to hunt. There is a lot of public land near Pierre (checkout Fort Pierre National Grasslands) but it gets more pressure than the stuff to the NW that is a long drive from gas station to gas station. If you want to be closer to the Black Hills, there is lots of public ground there, plus the Buffalo Gap National Grasslands. We hunted mule deer for decades west of Pierre on Hwy. 14 on private ground and there are some monsters, by any measure of the word, out there. It doesn't get the publicity that some other places get for mule deer.