MRC Vs. LAW

So i pulled the trigger and bought the MRC V2 in 300wm. ill post some photos in the next few days. so everyone can see fit and finish and over all quality and craftsmanship. as there does seem to be a lack of photos that show all that on line. so far i like it a lot. there are some things i don't know if i like or not about the stock, but ill make that review later when i add photos.

So i pulled the trigger and bought the MRC V2 in 300wm. ill post some photos in the next few days. so everyone can see fit and finish and over all quality and craftsmanship. as there does seem to be a lack of photos that show all that on line. so far i like it a lot. there are some things i don't know if i like or not about the stock, but ill make that review later when i add photos.

Congrats! All it matters is that it fits your needs and you like it. Cheers!

Ed

So I have decided to do a review on the Montana Rifle Company (MRC). There are many reviews out there with other then favorable opinions of the company and their customer service. First off I am not affiliated or in any way receiving anything from MRC. I am someone who likes the concept behind their design and function.

300 Win. Mag. V2

Thought #1 Fit, Finish and craftsmanship: I will rate it great.
The over all appearance of the rifle is well put together with clean lines and a slight elegance in her looks. As with anything made by man there are some things I noticed that I did not like. Again just my two cents and has nothing to do with the function of the rifle. First the lettering in the side of the rifle (company name) is deeper at the beginning and shallow in the center then getting deep again at the end.

IMG_0518.jpg

Next was a small chip in the coating on the stock by the floor plate.

IMG_0528.jpg

And final was just the cosmetic finish of the recoil pad when it was fit to the pad.

IMG_0514.jpg

Thought #2 mechanical fit of parts: Very good
The action fits very nicely to the stock with no imperfection I could notice to the outside fit of the stock and barreled action.

IMG_0513.jpg
IMG_0507.jpg

With that said, I had one complaint with the bedding job. This can get very in-depth, but ill try to keep it simple and short. The stock seems to be bedded then painted. In one aspect this is nice, as you cannot see the bedding compound when the action is installed. Although now you have a rather thick coat of paint on top of the bedding job now that changes the tolerances that defeats the point "slightly" in the bedding job. Second there seems to be some flashing over the top of the pillars this is something I will end up fixing by cleaning out the old bedding compound and rebidding the action. When I am done with the rebidding I will post new photos of that completed.

IMG_0530.jpg

IMG_0523.jpg

IMG_0524.jpg

IMG_0520.jpg

IMG_0521.jpg

Thought #3 Trigger: very good
With the trigger and components of the trigger they were very well made, clean and no blemishes. This made for a very good factory trigger that broke right at 3.5 lbs. I am used to trigger right at 2.5-3 lbs so of course I dove right in to this trigger job with a smile on my face. If I wanted something I did not half to do any work to I would have ordered a custom rifle, but that would be way to boring. So I cleaned up the creep "very little" that it had and l lightened up the trigger to 2.75 lbs and I like it right there.
IMG_0517.jpg

IMG_0519.jpg

Thought #4 Safety: Great
The safety goes on and of very smooth way better then my other rifles with 3 position M70 safety's. I found no reason to need to retime the safety unlike my Kimber were one needed a mallet to take it on and off. And yes I could have sent it back, but in a matter of 15 min I had it working about as good as this MRC.
IMG_0537.jpg
Thought # 5 Sights: Very good
I like a rifle that has a set of iron sights on them. It seems to complete the rifle, and also is a great back up to have in the event that you damage your scope and need a back up. My only thing I would perhaps chance would to be adding a front sight with a hood to protect that front sight blade
IMG_0510.jpg

IMG_0511.jpg

Thought # 6 Barrel: Great
The barrel has a nice contour and good balance with the rest of the rifle. The crown is nice, clean and will protect the rifling very well.
IMG_0508.jpg

Thought # 7 Stock: NEW haha very good
My thoughts on the stock so for are that is in nice and well made over all. The stock is very light weight and has a really narrow wrist to it, but has an agreeable feel to it when you hold it.

Last thought Customer service:

This is the spot where MRC suffers from the worst reviews in the universe, but I cannot add to the bad this time. I had had good luck with them so far with MRC. I have been in contact with one person the entire time and he has been nothing but helpful. So at the end of 2016, MRC is doing better with customer service, at least iv had good luck with them thus far. In many way I am glad to say that, I like to buy local first and foremost.

Last edited:
Their bedding jobs are horrible. Hopefully yours does not start flaking out of the stock like mine is. They also installed my pillars wrong. You may want to make sure your action bolts don't rub like mine did. Then you will get to experience their cs first hand. Bedding and pillar jobs on these are the Achilles heel. Sad they don't take a little more time in that area. The rifle costs enough to warrant that.

I will definitely let everyone know how it shoots. Just saving up money for a scope right now. As for the poor bedding job I plan to redo the bedding my way. Thanks for the advice on the pillars I will look into that before I redo the bedding.

A rifles bedding job tells me all i need to know about the quality of the rest of the build. If Curtis ever would come out with their 750$ action, a person could get all their parts, take it to a good/local smith and have the same money in a hammer done right the first time.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.