MPBR opinions

If it's a 243, would the OP be using this for varmint hunting any? I think that changes whether or not you use MPBR. I personally don't like anything other than a 100 yard zero. Nothing will relegate a gun to safe duty quicker than missing an 85 yard shot on a coyote with your buddies watching. Nothing will Make you more confident with your rifle than a successful head-on dome shot on a coyote at 100 yds. At least at 400 yds I may have an excuse for a miss.

Another thing i have found to be of utter importance is cold-bore zero. Most factory rifles cold bore shot is an MOA off one way or the other. Not too big of a deal for 100 yd shots but will come into play at 350-400. We usually have a warm barrel by the time we get our rifles "sighted in" at the range. It's important to let it sit and then try again once the barrel is completely cool again.

Most of my hunting guns wear duplex reticles. I like to figure out how many MOA the bottom of the duplex is, translate that to yardage with a 100 yd zero and use that as my gauge.

Last edited:
Okay I'm in the dark about "MPBR" I'm not sure what that is? But If I shoot 3.5" high at 100 yrds. it gives me 6" of drop at 500 yrds. With 6"of rise and 6" of drop in 500 yards gives 12" of coverage on my 18"-20" deer brisket. Without wind factors.
She still makes me smile with the DRT (Dead Right There) shots. Tracking wounded animals is my most unfavorite things to do.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.