mosin nagant 91/30 scope

Kidder

Is it worth it to put a $500+ scope on $150 rifle? Im wanting to turn it into a precision rifle to shoot over 500 meters. If so then what scope would best fit it?

Kidder .....you're " KIDDING " right ??? When I was a teenager I bought a Nagant for $15 . I will just say it was not a Target Rifle . If it were me , I would put that $500 into a nice old Used Rem 700 ( your choice of Caliber ) and buy a Used Lyman or Leupold when you have enough green . Good Luck .

What do you mean its not a target rifle? And I already have Remington 700 in 7mm rem mag.

If a Rifle won't Group 5 Shots into 0.5 inches or less off a Bench with no Wind ( which is how I Test my Varmint Rifles ) , they get reworked or go down the road . Full Blown Target Rifles are a whole lot better . The Nagants I saw many years ago had horrible bores and Groups at 50 Yards ( with Iron Sights which is all I had at the time ) were in Inches . A while back I saw a Magazine Test of a bunch of Military Rifles and the Nagant came out well ... compared to the others which surprised the heck out of me ! I also saw a recent Ad where someone was Selling Nagant Repro Sniper Scopes . If your Nagant is in great Condition and you want to see what it will do at Long Range ..... have at it and more power to you .

Last edited:
Is it worth it to put a $500+ scope on $150 rifle? Im wanting to turn it into a precision rifle to shoot over 500 meters. If so then what scope would best fit it?
If this rifle is in good condition and shoot good - why not?
I saw a lot of good results got from Mosin in both hunting and target shooting. The main downsides for me are outdated original stock and poor quality of Russian ammo.

The bore looks to be in excellent condition. And from the looks of the rifle I don't think it seen combat at all. The stock is all ruffed up and their is still cosmoline on it. When I sporterize it ill get all of the junk out but i need to know a what scope would go great with it. Im thinking either a vortex viper hs-t or a Nikon monarch. What do yall think?

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.