Modern Rifle Loads for 7x57 Mauser not for older bolt actions!

Forrest Ebert

The 7x57 Mauser loads found in any manual are very poor! I mean they are not up to date with modern powders. The manuals show the pressures being in the 43,000 range and less. This cartridge in a modern bolt action should be able to achieve way more than what is available from the Mfg. Thank you for any modern information.

The manuals show the pressures being in the 43,000 range and less.

This type of data is shown because of the older actions which were not built for higher pressures, ie, the Spanish Mausers and a couple of others. The lower pressure loads are for the safety of the general public who may not have the newer actions or the experience to understand the difference.

I can suggest checking some of the newer manuals in a store before purchasing or using some of the more advanced data posted on the internet by trustworthy manufacturers. I usually post the Nosler suggestions since their format is easily viewed and reasonably up to date:

1650381692821.png

This variation is for the 120 grain bullets listed at the top of the image but there are other weights to select from. I used the 175 grain category but it was not quite as accurate as the lighter bullets. The 7x57 and the AI version can be terrific hunting cartridges when use in a modern action, with modern bullets and powders.

As always, chant the reloader's mantra:

Start low and work up slowly watching for signs of pressure.

Use a tested, accurate chronograph and keep good records.

Enjoy!

:)

I load for my Tikka 6.5x55 -- same issues. Book loads are crap for a modern action. I really like Quickload for this situation. Combined with a chronograph, you can test Quickload predictions and start to really hone in on real pressures. I am pushing my modern 6.5x55 over 200 fps over book loads. And a good bit over the 6.5 Creed. Modern action. Lapua Brass. No US book will every give you loads for an old cartridge to go to 60,000 psi plus. But that's exactly how these modern scorchers get there. Your 7x57 has all the capacity or more of a 7mm-08 IIRC. You should be able to duplicate or exceed the 7mm-08 performance. Better check me on that though. Just from memory tonight, no access to my manuals.

I load for my Tikka 6.5x55 -- same issues. Book loads are crap for a modern action. I really like Quickload for this situation. Combined with a chronograph, you can test Quickload predictions and start to really hone in on real pressures. I am pushing my modern 6.5x55 over 200 fps over book loads. And a good bit over the 6.5 Creed. Modern action. Lapua Brass. No US book will every give you loads for an old cartridge to go to 60,000 psi plus. But that's exactly how these modern scorchers get there. Your 7x57 has all the capacity or more of a 7mm-08 IIRC. You should be able to duplicate or exceed the 7mm-08 performance. Better check me on that though. Just from memory tonight, no access to my manuals.
Yes you are correct with quick loads that program saves powder bullets and time! I had it but someone took my computer tower when we moved and yes you know it the program was in the tower so I lost a very valuable piece of my reloading equipment. If you keep the muzzle pressure below 10,000 your loads will be good! I'd like to see what it says with the Berger 168 Hunting VLD? I've read where that is one of the best Bullets for the 7x57? I want to hunt this year with this rifle as I've had it for 49 years going on 50 this November as it was my very first own hunting rifle given to me as a gift from my Mom & Dad. Shot many nice bucks all with hand loads.

My Ruger 7x57 had a long throat when I bought it and it was well worn. I rebarreled it with a Krieger sporter weight to 7x57 AI and its now a shooter. Ive never needed to shoot bullets as heavy as the 168 since I shoot light Hammers for everything. I worked on tons of data with Barnes 120 TSX and Hammer 101, 113, and 120 gr. IMR-4166 is driving them at 3200 +/- and I've hit 3300 with the 101 Hammers. These loads were at the upper end of pressure and I recommend working up until you see the first signs of pressure and stopping, and backing up 10%. Modern rifles like the Ruger and modern brass easily handle the full pressure loads. I used PPU 7x57 brass. I have taken a number of deer with this rifle and always hit the mark and full penetration with the bullets I mentioned.