Model 88 Winchester fans?

Does anyone know of a credible gunsmith who can work some magic on an 88 action and trigger? Maybe polishing things up to make it smoother/lighter and some bedding? I have a friend with one he just had bored to .338 federal and now he's after some cleanup work. If that's possible with the 88s.
I have done a couple triggers. It's a serious PITA. Worth it, tho. Don't see how anything can be done on the pull tension, tho. They get smoother as they get used. I may try some ultra fine lapping compound in mine, on the linkages, haven't made up my mind yet. Good luck finding a smith.

I don't know about that. Years ago I came up with an 88 .308 barreled action with a rusted up barrel and made it into a 22-250 AI for my dad. He's already got a few 308's, a .243, and a .284. He had an extra 88 stock so all we needed was a barrel to build it back into a gun. It was a pain in the but to get the magazine to work, so if I were to do it again, I would go 22-308 instead.

Tony Rumore
Tromix
Now, there's a thought...
What would barrel life be like, I wonder?

I wound up going to a Savage 10 for my 243AI build, so I still have this 88 in the safe, on the back burner.

I don't know about that. Years ago I came up with an 88 .308 barreled action with a rusted up barrel and made it into a 22-250 AI for my dad. He's already got a few 308's, a .243, and a .284. He had an extra 88 stock so all we needed was a barrel to build it back into a gun. It was a pain in the but to get the magazine to work, so if I were to do it again, I would go 22-308 instead.

Tony Rumore
Tromix
Now, there's a thought...
What would barrel life be like, I wonder?

I wound up going to a Savage 10 for my 243AI build, so I still have this 88 in the safe, on the back burner.

What makes you say that ? Seriously, I'm curious as to your thought process on this.
Fair enough. IMO The 88 is a classic and extremely collectible firearm that cannot be replaced like many different firearms. It has huge collector value, and every bit of what it is, was, or was going to be is destroyed as soon as someone modifies it let alone replacing the barrel or boring it out. There are 10's of millions of guns that can be used in place of gun like the 88 to shoot a lot and go hunting with. I would happily put away any gun like that and not shoot it before I ruined it by trying to make it something it was never made to be. My thoughts may be harsh to some and narrow minded to others.

Fair enough. IMO The 88 is a classic and extremely collectible firearm that cannot be replaced like many different firearms. It has huge collector value, and every bit of what it is, was, or was going to be is destroyed as soon as someone modifies it let alone replacing the barrel or boring it out. There are 10's of millions of guns that can be used in place of gun like the 88 to shoot a lot and go hunting with. I would happily put away any gun like that and not shoot it before I ruined it by trying to make it something it was never made to be. My thoughts may be harsh to some and narrow minded to others.
Many valid points. I wish that Winchester had never discontinued this rifle. It's a niche rifle, I think, that is largely overlooked simply because it's a lever. I don't think most understand, it ain't a 94. Thanks for your input.

Gregg, no offense just keep it a 243 . One of my Fondest Uncles had one that I reloaded for . Wish I had that rifle ,sadly it was sold . That's a very nice bbl you have for it . Cheers

Keep cutting them up. Makes my originals worth more!