Missouri Gobbler

Missouri codes obviously written by an idiot with the express purpose of confusing people.

Coyotes may be taken by hunting, and
pelts and carcasses may be possessed, transported
and sold in any numbers throughout
the year; except that coyotes may not be
chased, pursued or taken during daylight
hours from April 1 through the day prior to
the beginning of the prescribed spring turkey
hunting season and may not be chased, pursued
or taken through the prescribed spring
turkey hunting season.

And don't be shooting at any bullfrogs either. No lower form of life than a bullfrog poacher.

Bullfrogs and green frogs may be taken from
sunset, June 30 through October 31, by the
holder of a hunting permit with a .22 caliber
or smaller rimfire rifle or pistol, pellet gun,
longbow, crossbow, or by hand or handnet.
An artificial light may be used. Daily limit:
eight (8) frogs in the aggregate; possession
limit: sixteen (16) frogs in the aggregate.
Only the daily limit of frogs may be possessed
upon the waters and banks thereof
where daily limits apply.

399254.jpg

Huntem,
Congratulations, glad to see that you got your bird.

A question - how do you handle the warm temps and keeping the meat from spoiling. Do you cut out the meat as soon as you get pictures or do you clean it and get the meat at home?

[ QUOTE ]

A question - how do you handle the warm temps and keeping the meat from spoiling. Do you cut out the meat as soon as you get pictures or do you clean it and get the meat at home?

[/ QUOTE ]

Ian, I personally like to take care of the bird right away. I have found they are much easier to pluck soon after the shot. I don't care for skinning a bird because of the way I cook them. Unfortunately, I have lost birds due to prolong time in the warm temps. Lost meaning, I wasn't taking a chance even with proper cooking temperatures.

Ian,
I usually just take the breast, which can be easily removed by tearing the skin loose and filetting it out. I do this soon after pictures or if I have to go to work, I gut out the bird and hang it under the house by the feet with the body cavity packed full of ice. The next morning the breast feels like it was in a cooler.
huntem,
glad to see the picture! You're not hijacking the post at all.

Just to be clear, my Kansas coyote was legally taken. In Kansas, you can hunt coyotes all year round with no limit as long as you have a hunting license.

Sambo 3006, Huntem,
Thanks for the info guys. I was pretty much trying to be funny when I wrote about my recent turkey hunt (not quite a drive-by but not far from one either...). I know guys who are so into turkey hunting that they would choose a turkey hunt over a deer hunt. That is not me, simple as that.
We were pressed for time on that last hunt - the Nilgai did not want to play and we did not see a lot of piggies. Turkeys were everywhere we looked. interesting comments about coyotes and regulations on hunting them.

Had a great hunt this morning. In Missouri, you must wait until the second week of the season to hunt for your second bird. Went out yesterday morning with my bow and only saw one gobbler. I had my decoy set up and was calling him in when some cows wandered over and scared him off.
Took my Mossberg this morning, and the birds were gobbling better. I was working one and some unseen hens busted me. An hour later I heard another one gobbling, but he wouldn't come to my calls. I walked up to a ridgetop field where I had been seeing a tom and I heard him gobbling. I eased up the hill through the woods and spotted him in the field with a jake. He was strutting around at about 80 yards. I got in position next to a tree and voice yelped. It took about 10 minutes and a few quiet yelps, but I finally got a shot at 32 steps. Another beautiful 2 year old tom. Probably 18-19 lbs with a 10 inch beard and 7/8" spurs.
I use a slate call for long distance calling, but have learned to imitate hen yelps with my voice. Most of my birds over the last 5 or 6 years have been fooled by voice calling. I sound like a sick vulture if I try to use a diaphragm call, with some gagging thrown in for good measure.
Looking forward to some fried wild turkey breast. Good luck to the other turkey hunters!
TurkeyMOMay2200609001.jpg

Congrats on your second tom. I've been trying every weekend for my second to no avail. This Saturday is our last day I hoping to have better luck. This is my first year turkey hunting and so far so good, my first having a 9&1/16 beard right spur 1&1/4 and the left spur 1&1/8, but I have to work on my calling skills. I will say that it is an addictive sport.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.