Might be a little too much gun..

My sister is getting married in a month and her boy friend is a good guy just doesnt hunt or really shoot for that matter, we did talk him into putting in for an antelope tag and he drew and this week I talked him into buying a stainless 700 BDL in 300 RUM that I found a smoking deal on. hes an average sized guy so size isnt a problem, but I dont want him to develop a flinch so I am going to buy him a muzzle brake. I think I am going to get him a harrels brake. they are inexpensive and work really well. I think itll be a good all around gun for him, just wondering if anyone else is thinking I may have jumped the gun a little and maybe should have found a beginner a little smaller rifle..

Why so much gun for antelope?

Shoulder cannons as a first rifle, especially with a break that hurts the ears, are a great way to develope all sorts of bad habits if not an outright aversion to hunting. A rifle that needs a break with the accompanying noise doesn't seem like a good choice for a first rifle to me, but maybe it will work out.

I'd have thought something like a .257 Roberts, or maybe a .270, or .284 Win, or even a .30-06 or .308 would be a better rifle for a novice hunter to start with.

Fitch

Fitch, were doing elk too, I forgot to mention that. and noise shouldnt be a problem because we dont shoot unless we have hearing protection in. so I think with a brake it should be fine., he has shot my sisters heavily loaded 30-06 and my 338 Lapua with no issue out to 500 yards, i have high expectations for him.

Why so much gun for antelope?

Shoulder cannons as a first rifle are a great way to develope all sorts of bad habits if not an outright aversion to hunting. Doesn't seem like a good choice to me, but maybe it will work out.

I'd have thought something like a .257 Roberts, or maybe a .270, or even a .30-06 or .308 would be a better rifle for a novice hunter to start with.

Fitch

I understand your thought process & agree to a point; but I do want to share though, that the sharpest recoiling, flinch starting, curse word stimuli I've ever shot were sporter weight .270's & '06's. I'd rather shoot my 375 Ruger than a sporter weight 270. Luckily the Rem CDL comes with a big squishy recoil pad, maybe that is the difference I don't know. A good instructor goes a long way, as well as trigger time & a good break helps!!

ive found that you'll know quickly if a guy can handle recoil or not. Some guys can turn it off and just do it, some guys cant. I was glad that my dad started me on a 7mm mag when I was 9 and when I was 12 graduated to his .338 win. the first rifle i bought when I was 17 was a .340 wby that weighed under 9lbs. But i feel that If I hadnt learned on heavy recoiling rifles I would probably have taken alot longer to learn. I wouldnt suggest a brake on a first rifle as I find most new shooters are as frightened of noise as they are the actual reciol. If he is sensitive to recoil i would go with something smaller altogether. a .264win still packs a heck of a wallop for antelope with alot less recoil. yoou can always trade the .300 RUM away and still make us of the good deal you got.

I understand your thought process & agree to a point; but I do want to share though, that the sharpest recoiling, flinch starting, curse word stimuli I've ever shot were sporter weight .270's & '06's. I'd rather shoot my 375 Ruger than a sporter weight 270. Luckily the Rem CDL comes with a big squishy recoil pad, maybe that is the difference I don't know. A good instructor goes a long way, as well as trigger time & a good break helps!!

i have to agree, i had a savage 243 that seemed to kick worse than my CDL 300 win mag

Fitch, were doing elk too, I forgot to mention that. and noise shouldnt be a problem because we dont shoot unless we have hearing protection in. so I think with a brake it should be fine., he has shot my sisters heavily loaded 30-06 and my 338 Lapua with no issue out to 500 yards, i have high expectations for him.

Knowledge is everything. Under those conditions, the choice makes a lot more sense. I was thinking newbie-never-shot taking on a .300RUM as a first rifle and that was not a pretty picture. If he's shooting a heavily loaded -06 or a .338 Lapua (doubtless with a break) and not flinching, he's good to go.

Fitch

Knowledge is everything. Under those conditions, the choice makes a lot more sense. I was thinking newbie-never-shot taking on a .300RUM as a first rifle and that was not a pretty picture. If he's shooting a heavily loaded -06 or a .338 Lapua (doubtless with a break) and not flinching, he's good to go.

Fitch
I agree
+1

Im with WYOELK. Maybe have him shoot one of your smaller calibers first and then jump up. With a break though he should be fine. Only time will tell. Have fun.

Someone already beat me to the punch with the Power level ammo--but I +1 that suggestion. Get the PL1 or PL2 and have a ball! (can't say I blame you about snatching that rifle up)

I almost never shoot factory ammo, so I doubt he will be shooting any since I will be doing his loading. I will just load them down until we get the brake put on it.

Fully understand the price thing " here is the cash thank you very much" never turn down a smoking deal . You got the reach no issue there just as long as no good solid bone hits are made it should be cool. Me I prefer the plain jane 260 Rem with a 120 B tip but thats just me.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.