Midway dogtown bullets for .223

Stringer

Just got a few 55gr HP "Dogtown" bullets from Midway. My intent was to make a cheap .223 plinking round for the AR.

Anyone with any experience with these? They are REALLY short. I'm concerned mostly about COAL. These are really short bullets, and anything longer than 2.200" seems like the bullet isn't seated deep enough.

Thanks!

First let me say that I am a fairly new reloader. I am also not a varmit hunter and reload for plinking purposes only so I am not concerned with varmit accuracy. I agree that the dogtowns are fairly short. I have reloaded and shot about 200 of the 55g hp dogtowns and am quite pleased with them. My load is 25.5g of Win748 with a case length of 1.75 and an oal of 2.21. I loaded a few up to 2.22 and they seemed to shoot just as accurately. I shoot them out of a Rock River AR (CAR A4 upper) in 5.56 with a 16 in. chromed barrel. Accuracy wise they shot the same for me as the standard 55 FMJs from Winchester and Remington. I hope this helps.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.