40gr bullets in 223

Iron Worker

Both Sierra&amp;Hornady reloading manuals dont contain any load rec's for 40 gr but they do for 45gr bullets useing VIHT 135 powder. Can I use thier load rec's for 45gr for the 40gr. I don't want to half to buy any more powder. <font color="blue"> </font> /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

Iron Worker,

The load info I have for N135 and 40 gr. bullet is 24.5 to 26.7. If this gets close to the loads you have then I don't see where you would be getting in any trouble. USUALLY using the next heavier (bullet) load does not cause a problem, going the other way can.

Jim

Iron Worker. This load info is for the .223 Rem. Work up slowly of course.

Jim

Iron Worker,I have a Sierra reloading manual 50 th edition that list load's for 40 gr bullet's. The one I use is 25grs of H-322 with sierra or hornady v-max************ogo

IronWorker,
N135 tends to be a bit too slow for 40grainers,try N133 and get better velocity (at least 100fps and probably better accuracy as well). N135 is better suited for 55gr up.
B

Here's what works in my Savage with 40 VMAX and N-135....

100_0106.JPG

OK...Glad someone brought this up. I have made the following observation and I would like to see if I am the only one.

During all these yaers working with a lot of 223's I have noticed that when it comes to 40 grain bullets I can NEVER get a uniform load. I have used H 4895, Win 748 Varget and others. Never I mean never have I gotten a 5 or more, shot string where the velocities do not have 100-350 fps variance! Accuracy might be acceptable but uniformity stinks. You do not know if the next 40 gr pill is going 3200 fps or 3650 fps. What gives?

Never had the same problem with the heavies.

POP,

That is the nature of the beast (so to speak). I have not seen the 450 fps variation you have, but yes, they do seem to vary more than heavier bullets. I was taught "variables" in your loading can have a more pronounced affect on a lighter bullet. My experience has been, high quality, lapped barrels (.223) are quite consistant, while some factory barrels with 40 gr. bullets show much more spread.

I try hard to get them as consistant as possible, but my 40 gr. loads are rarely used past 350 yds. I can live with it.

Jim

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.