Medical Question or Common Sense

MagMan

In the last year and a half since our daughter was born I have been reading many product labels. One thing that I have noticed is everything reads "If swallowed do not induce vomiting". At what point have the powers that be decided that we should not induce vomiting?

Surely all of you remember the bottle of ipecac under the kitchen sink with all of the other chemicals you weren't supposed to touch.

What is so different now?

I'm no medical man, but I beleive that the train of thought is that the chemicals that are either acids or bases (those that burn tissue) you will do more damage by vomiting them up again. Some chemicals will require you to drink a certain household liquid and go to the ER. But by all means don't take my word for it - call the chem emergency number if someone swallows the substance !! ;)

LewisH is right , this is especialy so with chemicals that contain acids or caustics or petrolium bases as once they get to the lungs the trouble gets much harder to fix , a trip to the ER will generaly result drinking alot of charchol based liquid then a stomach pump.

Well that makes perfect sense...but they're just realizing this in the last few years? Or have I been out of touch because I've never been forced to pay attention?

Kinda like babies are not supposed to sleep on their belly any more , 30 years ago they were supposed to incase they vomited they woulden't choke , now "tummy sleepers" run a greater rist of SIDS.

I was born to two hippies that lived in L.A. through the 70's
I'm glad I made it

Rue of thumb with chemicals, if it burns on the way in it will burn o the way out. Thats why the do not induce vomiting.

if it burns on the way in it will burn o the way out.

Sound to me like that might be a bit old school. I suppose its better to have it sit in your stomach and absorb into your blood while waiting to have it pumped?

The aspiration sounds a lot better to me but I appreciate the interest.

Sound to me like that might be a bit old school. I suppose its better to have it sit in your stomach and absorb into your blood while waiting to have it pumped?

The aspiration sounds a lot better to me but I appreciate the interest.

Actually it will do more damage than good. I think that milk is supposed to help.

choaking on vomit... aaaahhhhhhhh..... that makes sense - learn something new every day ;)

as James posted charcoal will attach itself to the poison and will be able to be pumped or expelled. It will not be absorbed into your blood. That is why all EMS(BLS or ALS) carry some sort of suspension of charcoal.

Brent (EMT)

That is why all EMS(BLS or ALS) carry some sort of suspension of charcoal.

and a shoehorn.:D:D

My wife is an NR yet I refuse to ask her...She'd probably tease me.

One time my dog got into a bucket of mysterious clear liquid at my parents house. I though it was water and about 2 miles down the road he had about a 6" diameter projectile vomit right in the cab of the truck. I was worried so I called my dad and he tells me its peroxide and water. When I get home I call that animal help line and the guy on the other end tells me "I just so happens your in luck". I didn't find it the least bit humorous until he tells me thats what they use to induce vomiting in dogs and he would be just fine.

I find it funny now but cleaning that much puke from the cab of my truck still bothers me.

He's a meat head. He didn't even whine, just blaaaaat.

A puking dog and a screaming kid in the cab of a truck moving down the road a 60 mph. I had all I could do to maintain my composure. I could have been right there with him.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.