Mechanical Engineering Problems in Firearms Industry

Whooooo!! Cool! A shooting nerd! My favorite.

Ok, here's something I thought about trying to design but ran out of gas. Maybe you will find it interesting and can figure it out.

So, a widget that uses either pressure or weight to measure the volume of individual brass cases. I'm sort of envisioning a little rubber plug that fits up into the primer pocket to make a seal then the other end might seal against a big rubber gasket. Some gas is pressed into the case and either the amount of gas or resulting pressure gives you a measurement that can be used to find the volume. Filling with liquid is a mess so I don't want a water measurement.

I also wondered about seeing if the thing that puffs air into your eye at the eye doctor might be applicable.

Anyway, that's my idea.

Thanks,

Cross

It's been a while, but I know when I looked at making one it was the baffles that were the problem part. You had to state how many baffles were in the suppressor and you could only have that many laying around the shop. Otherwise you got into the whole constructive intent thing.
You can even have all of the parts laying around for a full auto machine gun, as long as they are not assembled it's legal.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.