Marlin 1895 Sights

MountainMariner

My old eyes need something better than the manufacturers sights on a Marlin 1895 Guide gun 45/70. This rifle is my bear defensive rifle, not used for hunting, just to keep Yogi from eating me. Quick acquisition and high visibility is the key here. Load is Buffalo Bore 45-70 Magnum hard cast 430 grain. Any good sight suggestions?

Zerk

Also skinner sights. I wonder about red dots. Never used.

THough just simple fast shooting ghost rings miht be bigger and faster. Skinner has various apperatures though. But maybe over kill

Mike 338

The XS Ghost Ring sights should work fine. Thanks.

I have that set up on a SBL. I put a scope on for load development and after removing it, I was still getting very good groups at 100 yards yet it's very fast to acquire a sight picture and the bigger aperture doesn't black out in the deep woods. Sturdy too.

Mike 338

I like the red dots but needs a battery. They red fiber fronts are easy the pick with the ghost ring and no battery.

The battery on the MRO will last at least 5 years while continuously on. I can attest to that. I really like how fibers shine in good light but I've broken them enough to be a bit leery.

Zerk

I like the red dots but needs a battery. They red fiber fronts are easy the pick with the ghost ring and no battery.
I have been restive to batteries because I prefer high reliability. My crossbow came with a red dot. I like it. When its off you still have a cross hairs. Not sure if they are all that way. If so, no downside to using a red dot, except maybe weight and $.

Alibiiv

LRH Team Member
My old eyes need something better than the manufacturers sights on a Marlin 1895 Guide gun 45/70. This rifle is my bear defensive rifle, not used for hunting, just to keep Yogi from eating me. Quick acquisition and high visibility is the key here. Load is Buffalo Bore 45-70 Magnum hard cast 430 grain. Any good sight suggestions?
Hello Mountain Mariner, just curious if you settled on a particular sighting system for your Marlin 1895? I'm seriously considering the Skinner combination scope mount and receiver sight base.

MountainMariner

I haven’t acquired sights for it yet (got sidetracked this year with a 50 BMG bolt rifle) but I’m going with a Skinner Alaskan setup sometime before May this year.

Alibiiv

LRH Team Member
I haven’t acquired sights for it yet (got sidetracked this year with a 50 BMG bolt rifle) but I’m going with a Skinner Alaskan setup sometime before May this year.
Great that is also my choice. I just have to buy a set of rings to go along with the scope base. Good hunting to you!! Raoul

Primary

LRH Assistant
Here are some related products that LRH members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to LRH’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to LRH discussions about these products.

Recent Posts