mandrel for case necks...can somebody please explain

Shawn, what sort of shooting do you do and what are you trying to achieve?

I've been loading about 25 years. I've had various results.

Loading equipment and technique will play a big part .

Patience and shooting technique might also help.

I'm far from competitive but I just hope I've explained it right.
I'm a bit of a perfectionist, just NOT to the point of a benchrest artist. I like accurate rifles, but most of mine are of the AR configuration.
I would like to shoot accurately out to 1/2 mile under 1moa.
To answer your question about the KIND of shooting, I used to shoot game, but my broken down body won't allow me to chase elk where they live. Deer us still an option, but coyotes and prairie dogs still remain my preferred quarry.
I shoot paper to test my handloads for accuracy

My reference was to the use of a mandrel after the neck was minimally sized, not to the use of a Lee die.

However, your point is well taken.
The mandrel is so much easier to use than the Lee Collet die, I have used them, and have no complaints about anything "Lee" , However the operation of the collet die, even when set up correctly , always felt a little rough to me….the mandrel is as smooth as silk, I use it after I run the case through a bushing die

that guy is too long winded, and has his opinions. I mean don't get me wrong, his information is good but he doesn't come up for air. You're better off reading what some have to say, He basically says what I did about bushings verses mandrels.
lots of good info.
But it's like trying to drink from a fire hose. it's non-stop

The mandrel is so much easier to use than the Lee Collet die, I have used them, and have no complaints about anything "Lee" , However the operation of the collet die, even when set up correctly , always felt a little rough to me….the mandrel is as smooth as silk, I use it after I run the case through a bushing die
Carbide mandrels are easier. The Collet die I just got the mandrel is highly polished, which is unusual with Lee. But no issues. Nothing rough about it.

get an expandable sizer / TAPERED SIZER BUTTON Carbide mandrels are great when and if you find the one you looking for !!! My lath man makes up a lot of what I need, sometimes it gets a little $$$$$ but worth it at the end -saves extra work.

Last edited:
Yes, but what one does with the information is another. Unfortunately, there are people that will tune him out because of his delivery. I do not have any problem with it.
Kinda like gavin from ultimate reloader… at least he takes a break berween words! LOL

Ton of options out there which companies are in competition with each other. Comparing FA coax with Forster coax gavin doesn't make another video of the issues with the FA press. So what good is the first video? He raves about the FA press so why not buy it? I rather read about them and actually see what the differences are and then make an intelligent decision on what to get. After reading all the negative things about the FA press I was able to fix them and use the press. The only thing that I won't use it with is the Lee collet die, even on the Forester press.

Kinda like gavin from ultimate reloader… at least he takes a break berween words! LOL

Ton of options out there which companies are in competition with each other. Comparing FA coax with Forster coax gavin doesn't make another video of the issues with the FA press. So what good is the first video? He raves about the FA press so why not buy it? I rather read about them and actually see what the differences are and then make an intelligent decision on what to get. After reading all the negative things about the FA press I was able to fix them and use the press. The only thing that I won't use it with is the Lee collet die, even on the Forester press.
"IF" you think you can do better than those that are presenting, I say go for it.

these people cram to much information to fast that's all I'm saying. And that can be discouraging. The guy knows his stuff but I don't believe for this forum.

Last edited:
"IF" you think you can do better than those that are presenting, I say go for it.
KISS

This is a hunting forum isn't it? And the kind of accuracy needed to hunt at extended ranges only has to be the size of a paper plate, correct? Closing the gap a bit is fine but how far do you have to close that gap ???

Guys like him make it sound like you have money to burn, and that you need this and you need that. For 14 bucks I made a bullet seating indicator, for 22 bucks I made a concentricity tool, for 189 bucks I got a FA coax instead of 300+ for Forester coax, wasted money on 21st century mandrels, die, and Forsters FL dies instead of getting Redding standard die sets which the seater is better than Foresters BR seaters believe it or not. See where I'm going with this? Am I too long winded ? Should I get a honed Forster FL die and when I buy a new lot of brass have to get another die honed or just do a body die and collet die ?

There's my KISS version FEENIX

Last edited: