Making Sandbags?

Troutslayer

How can I make sandbags to take to the range that will not leak? I don't have any old shot bags lying around and if I knew a source for them I would buy a few. Any suggestions?

I make sure the sand is totally dry, then I seal it in a sturdy plastic bag (usually doubled up) and then drop that into the sand bag. This ensures the sand won't leak and the sand won't get wet. I have never had a problem with them yet.

Good Shootin'

[ QUOTE ]
How can I make sandbags to take to the range that will not leak? I don't have any old shot bags lying around and if I knew a source for them I would buy a few. Any suggestions?

[/ QUOTE ] Sinclair Try this link and look for sand bags.

I guess I should clarify that I need them to hold down my benchrest. Something like two tubular 15 pound bags. I am also on a budget and spending $20 on a lead shot bag seems too much. Thinking about cutting the legs off some old pants and sewing them up, but I know they'll leak in time. Looking for a better idea

Troutslayer,

How about plastic bags, doubled for strength, filled with sand and fit inside some old socks. Double the socks if you have to. Zip tie the sock opening????

Jim

Sand bags are a simple task just pour dry sand in plastic bags and sew the plastic bags in blue jean legs you can make them as long or short as you need (for weight)sew a piece of leather connecting them for easy portage.

If you want heavy and cheap and won't leak then try this. Old pair of jeans for material. Cut to length and sew to shape. Then go to the local locksmiths and ask them if they have old tumblers from when they rekey locks. We are all packrats and can't stand to throw anything away. They undoutably will have a box or a bucket laying around somewhere. They will probably sell you all of them for a couple bucks. A side note: If they take it to the recycler they will only get 7 cents a pound for yellow brass. The tumblers will look like brass rice sorta. They are quite heavy and are large enough that they wont leak out of the material. I made a leather rear bag and filled it with these tumblers and the thing weighs a ton and still squishes around like sand or lead shot. You might want to go buy the tumblers first so you don't make your bags too large (heavy).

Just make sure your seams are strong.

I'm sure there is probably a place around there that repairs outfitter wall tents. See if they have any scrap canvas or see how much it would be to buy some material. They may even sew it up for you.

i tried jeans,they leak and tear rather easily.they have been duct taped many times now.someone on this forum sent me 10 shotbags for our sportsmans club range.i filled with sand, plastic ziplock freezer bags,ty-wrapped the end,and they are working great.and used every day.i keep 3 in the truck toolbox and no tears yet.post a request for them or on a shotgun forum,they work well.

Trout, regardless of the material you use for the bags look at the scrap lock tumblers as a fill option. Cleaner than dirt and lead and right in between them for weight. I have a bunch of them saved up but the freight would be a bit much.

Thanks wildworks, I sent you an email. I fell off a mule the other day and had to have surgery, so I'm looking forward to little projects to preserve my sanity while I heal. I'll post a photo of my sandbags when I'm done. They should be cool as I have some suede around here somewhere. I called all the locksmiths in town and they don't havs any tumblers laying around right now.

Bummer about the tumblers. If you could find them I know you would love them. If you are using suede though the dirty part of using lead shot won't be a problem. I don't know about using sand though.

Troutslayer,
I made my sandbags from the bags that banks use for coins, very tough and they dont leak.
I fill them with bird cage sand which is very fine, compacts well and costs about $0.50 a KG.
The hard bit is scrounging the bags from the bank, /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Ian.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.