• You must be a Supporting Member to create a listing in the Long Range Hunting Marketplace. To read all the rules, click here.

We offer multiple options to become a Supporting Member here.

Making Primers?

SavageHunter11.....do you have a link to the "We Like Shooting" podcast you could post here?
Hopefully this works, also it appears it was the "Reloading Podcast" not the "We Like Shooting" podcast. Both are on the Firearms Radio Network and I listen to them weekly.

Link:

This podcast is a bit more PG and dry but tons of good info from these guys on a weekly basis.

A stickied thread on NWFA by a gent making it happen. His progress is at the point of shooting and getting performance results out of the primers.

You can pop out the anvil, pound the firing pin dimple flat, put in a cap from a roll of strip caps and reseat the anvil.

It does work. Its not match grade. I wouldn't use it for a high pressure rifle.

I experimented with this in the late 00s during that primer crisis. I was using Promo in 38spl and boosted loads of WC860 in the 45-70. I tried Promo in 30-30 with inconsistent results. I believe the low brisenance won't reliably light a cartridge with low case fill. Stepping up charges to something with higher fill meant changing to powders that were harder to ignite, low brisanence again being a problem. Boosting might have helped with this.

I still have rolls of strip cap put away from that era.

As some one else up thread said, I took that experience to heart and did my darned-est. Not to have to worry about primer shortages again. Id gotten complacent in the last few years and I'm a little short on small pistol and magnum small rifle for my high use stuff. But this time I'm at least well enough set that I'm not reduced to playing with strip caps and ammonpulver because I'm bored.

As someone else said, primers are the bottleneck. The machinery is expensive. Its a highly skilled craft. The C suite is very skiddish about sinking capital into a highly volatile market. If trump had won, covid ended in the next year, and the bacon lettuce mayo crowd chilled out...we would have been looking at a market crash in about mid to late 2022. Just like the mid-trump years. That's part of what killed the NRA, the leftist threat had been reduced and the money wasn't coming in.
I have tried this and found it to be 100 percent reliable ignition when used in black powder cartridges, both rifle and handgun. The cartridges I used them in are: Handgun -> .32 S&W, .32 Colt New Police, .38 S&W, .45 Colt, Rifle -> .38-55, 11x60R Mauser, .45-70. I loaded 20 of each. I fired them in June, but did not try any during the winter. I can only guess that they will perform OK in the cold.

Just remember that factory primers can and have pierced, now if you pull a primer apart and hammer the cup back in shape without annealing the cup you will have a high chance the cup will fracture with any high pressure load. For fast burning powders in low pressure pistol cartriges it's feasable if you have no other option. I'd use small rifle in small pistol if needed in 30-30 and 45-70 with moderate loads large pistol will work the lr mag even better.
Also aside from the component costs what is your time worth? And what if a primer blows and you get particles in your eyes.

Governments in the past have tried to get manufacturers to make primers with a use buy date and after 5 or so years they stop working. They know that without primers it stops everything going bang.

My flintlock need no primers and has a nasty bayonet as well.

The 61 caliber 1.2 oz slug of my design would probably reach to the 3rd row of the ANTIFA marchers.

sharpes rifles.jpg