M13x1.25 muzzle brake advice?

Pbgunrunner

I bought my goin west to shoot an elk rifle- a pretty new browning xbolt western hunter in 28 nosler. One thing I'm not terribly fond of is the kinda cheesy thin wall factory "muzzle brake". I'd like to replace it w a better compensator. Unfortunately it's in a m13x1.25 thread pattern (confirmed by Nathan at muzzle brakes and more who was very gracious, but didnt have a brake in that pattern without doing an expensive one off custom). SO....anyone have any suggestions for something that would work better? Thanks!

I don't see why it would be any harder to make one in a metric thread compared to a standard thread. I'd look somewhere else to see if anybody else will make you one and not charge you a premium.

For a one-off, expect to pay for the tooling....... In the machining/manufacturing world, when 'special; tooling is require, the cost of the tooling is figured into the price. Gunsmith machining is no different.

What special tooling? The same threading insert for a 1/2" thread can be used with an M13 thread. Again, I don't see why it would cost more or require any extra tooling. I cut threads all of the time and use the same tooling for 60* metric and 60* standard. The only thing that changes is the CNC program for the threads or changing the gear box around to select the correct metric thread.

It's not a tooling issue, it's a production thing. When a supplier can make a bunch of the same thing the initial cost of doing the cnc programming and setup is reduced. Nathan from MBM has been great about communicating that, hes willing to spend 4 hrs doing the programming and building me a one off brake, I'm not willing to pay for it! Looks like the best route for me is to have my barrel cut and rethreaded to a common size, which is what I'm discussing w him now. I'll post pics of it once it's done.

"it's a production thing". Shouldn't take 4 hrs to program. Bore to tap drill size and thread. Programing of ONE doesn't make much sense when $20 can buy a tap for a 'one-off'. But, after it IS programed, it can/should be stored in the memory. I my world programing doesn't come for free, even simple programs. Maybe you should make on for him, Jud.....

A few months ago I stumbled across a bBrowning xbolt micro 6mm cm barely used in a local Gunshop. I had called Browning CS to ask about the gun. They did tell me about the different thread pitch. But they did tell me there was a company who makes an adapter. Cannot remember who but will see what I can find. And now you have me thinking about they micro....which I had talked myself into not needing

I bought my goin west to shoot an elk rifle- a pretty new browning xbolt western hunter in 28 nosler. One thing I'm not terribly fond of is the kinda cheesy thin wall factory "muzzle brake". I'd like to replace it w a better compensator. Unfortunately it's in a m13x1.25 thread pattern (confirmed by Nathan at muzzle brakes and more who was very gracious, but didnt have a brake in that pattern without doing an expensive one off custom). SO....anyone have any suggestions for something that would work better? Thanks!

Check out ...

T1 brake.JPG

... and you can get them at https://www.shoot-long.com/product/terminator-muzzle-brakes-t1-t2-t3-t4-t5-t6-tt-t3b-ta-te/

Thank you fenix, that's the only one I had found as well. Since my barrel was already at muzzle brakes and more I decided to have the metric threads cut off and have it rethreaded sae with one of Nathan's 5 port brakes installed, then tapered to fit my barrel. It wasnt the perfect solution, but by the time I shipped it somewhere else to have a different brake timed and installed its be similar money wise. This way I get the brake I want installed by an expert and properly fitted to my gun. I'll post pics when I get it back. Thanks for all of the advice guys!

Thank you fenix, that's the only one I had found as well. Since my barrel was already at muzzle brakes and more I decided to have the metric threads cut off and have it rethreaded sae with one of Nathan's 5 port brakes installed, then tapered to fit my barrel. It wasnt the perfect solution, but by the time I shipped it somewhere else to have a different brake timed and installed its be similar money wise. This way I get the brake I want installed by an expert and properly fitted to my gun. I'll post pics when I get it back. Thanks for all of the advice guys!

Copy that! I am big fan of Nathan's beast brakes, I have a 4-port on my .264 WM and 5-port for a .30 cal. I tried to order a super baby beast brake for my .30 Gibbs but at the time he was overwhelmed with work orders and not sure when he can get back to it. I had to change the original plan because my gunsmith was going to be out of town for an extended period and I did not want to wait that long for it. I know that he was not well for a few weeks and is doing catch up work as well. I am sure he will do a good job with it. Good luck!

Ed

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.