M&P 10 Barrel Swap

Zipdrive

Hi all. I have an M&P10 in 308 and want to re-barrel it with a DPMS heavy 18" barrel, 1-10 twist, 308 that I have. So, I know that the OD of the bolt lugs from the M&P10 are larger than the ID of the barrel extension nut on the DPMS barrel. Read in a number of places that swapping out the the bcg and barrel are the only components needed to swap out. My question is, do I really need to change the whole bcg, or just the bolt? Cheers.

Lots of views... well I did find a 308 bolt that was in stock and NiB coated and reasonably priced, so I'll let everyone know after it comes in and I measure it.

I'm late too the party, but here it goes! Some sell a bolt headspaced matched to the barrel. The whole bcg is not needed for the change and maybe not even the bolt! Some companies do a terrible job with matching components! Get good go and no-go gauges (do not use a piece of tape on the no for a no-go replacement). You can remove the extractor and ejector before checking headspace. I never do and never had a problem. You can also check headspace before installing the barrel. I do this also, but you need too have the bolt in the bcg. This makes it easier.