Lyman Press - Problems!!!

300rum

Hello Guys,

I'm really NEED YOUR HELP!!
I got 1 mo. ago a LYMAN PRESS (LYMAN PRO KIT) with neck size die for 300 remington ultra magnum.
After I set up the bullet depth to 3.594 (COL), and reloading few rounds, I notice a POSSIBLE PROBLEM.
NOT ALL THE BULLETS was SEAT AT THE SAME DEPTH???
The variation is between 3.590 - 3.597.

DO YOU THINK IS A RELOADING PRESS PROBLEM, or is normal to be in this way????
I already checked the press, the die, all the locking screw, and all are OK.
I really apreciate your suggestions.

Thank you
300rum

Do you think the problem can be from the brass size?
They have the lenght between - 2.354 - 2.46, and when they reach 2.5 I trim them down to 2.4

One thing I have noticed when using the UM cases is sometimes I get exactly what your referring to. The only thing I have been able to figure out is that the cases themselves have enough differences in the rim area to allow this when seating the bullet. Not so much as the base it's self, but where the extractor groove is located or how wide it is between different case heads. This would allow them to sit differently in the shell holder.

This to me is the only way to explain using bullets which all measure the same and getting different length loads. All of the bullets were measured using a comparator and seated accordingly using the same to measure the B-O length. I also have the seating cup deepened to allow for the tips to clear as well, so I know that this isn't the case either.

If you staying back enough to keep clear of any pressure issues, then you should be fine and they will probably shoot well for you.

Hi Mike,

Thank you.
Yes I have enough space between the bullet and the grove/land.
But for moment I did not pay to much attention on this detail, till I will be found the right powder majerment for my 200AB load.
I'm still playing with group, and then I will go on detail for bullet depth.

Thank you again, because I was already to return the reloading press back to store to replacing with another one.

Another issue what I found is the consistency of the 200AB grains from one bullet to another.
The weight of the round is between 198 - 203 grains / 1 box of 50pcs.
What I did I JUST WEIGHT THEM AND SPLIT THEM IN THE SAME WEIGHT.
This suppouse to be normal????
_______

Depending on just how far your looking to shoot the weight variation may or may not play much of a role in your overall accuracy. Yes if you have a custom hand lapped and fitted BR quality barrel and rifle it might show up some, but then again, it may not present a problem.

THe biggest thing I have found to ruin groups within say 500yds, is inconsistant seating depth and inconsistant powder charges. The seating depth on a good load can usually varey a few thou. one way or the other, with out throwing the whole group out. Same as the powder charge in a "good" load.

However if your teetering on the edge of a node in your load, then a host of other things could also come into play.

Worry about the load first, then sweat the seating. Generally you will find a load which works out well even if the weights and lengths of the bullets are off by a bit. Unless your really working on the absolute extreme of accuracy, the differences your seeing should not effect your groups.

Couple of other things to look at.

Primers are seated flush? If a primer is high then it will add to the overall length.

Measurement technique is consistent? If you measure 10 rounds and then throw them out on the carpet can you find each one again by re-measuring?

What magman said and referred to the bullet comparator.

When I experience the 'problem' you mention it is usually due to the bullets having been formed with nonuniform tips or ogives. When this happens more of the bullet will fit into the seating rod than do others. Thus overall length variance.

I'd really consider the bullet comparator and measure the bearing surface length and sort by that length. Also take the seating die apart and put a bullet into the seating rod and see if the bullet goes in beyond the lead, ie., seating against the jacket not the lead tip.

Or rig up one of these gizmos and drill the holes straight and the correct size for what you want to do and its a pretty handy tool.
332BS-Lenght-Tool-med.jpg

Yes the Primers are seated flush, bellow the brass cap.

"Measurement technique is consistent? If you measure 10 rounds and then throw them out on the carpet can you find each one again by re-measuring?"

Regarding this one.... ALL THE TIME I DOUBLE CHECK FOR EVERY ROUND, BRASS LENGHT, NECK DIAMETER, POWDER, PRIMER ("feeling" and visual), JUST TO AVOID MEASURING PROBLEMS.

The only place where i do not have consistency from one round to another is when I Seated the Round.

I will try to open the Die to see the way how the round is touching with the tip or with the ogive.

One other thing to look at.

When you pull your seating die down, measure the cup of the stems ID. THen check that against the depth it allows the bullet to be inserted. Check this against the comparator your using, and where it allows the contact to be on the bullet.

You might be able to use a smaller diameter comparator bushing to get closer to the same spot that each contact the bullet, which will or should get you a more accurate measurement. The variance your seeing might be in the profile of the ogive of each bullet being slightly different.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.