Looking to re barrel a Mauser 98?

sean1

I have a Mauser 98 in 8mm. Bought it when I was younger. Had already been sporterized with a nice stock. I had the bolt handle cut off and reset and a Romney trigger installed. Gun has served me well but I would like to have some more work done to it.
My thoughts
Rebarrel in 30-06 or the ackley variant
Turn bolt handle more since there is little room between handle and scope
Horizontal swing safety
Thinking a 24" barrel

I know this is a rather vanilla build compared to most you see on here but I would like your opinion. I already have a sendero in 25-06 that is very accurate so I was thinking a 30 caliber to tackle larger jobs.

Is the 30-06 AI worth the extra speed you get?

Any other suggestions?
I do reload and this gun would be used mainly for hunting.

I have a Mauser 98 in 8mm. Bought it when I was younger. Had already been sporterized with a nice stock. I had the bolt handle cut off and reset and a Romney trigger installed. Gun has served me well but I would like to have some more work done to it.
My thoughts
Rebarrel in 30-06 or the ackley variant
Turn bolt handle more since there is little room between handle and scope
Horizontal swing safety
Thinking a 24" barrel

I know this is a rather vanilla build compared to most you see on here but I would like your opinion. I already have a sendero in 25-06 that is very accurate so I was thinking a 30 caliber to tackle larger jobs.

Is the 30-06 AI worth the extra speed you get?

Any other suggestions?
I do reload and this gun would be used mainly for hunting.

If I were you, I would stick to 8mm and get your 98 rebarreled in 8x68S, the beltless European magnum. A fantastic round for almost all hunting purposes from deer to moose including dangerous game. Great brass from both Norma and RWS available. You won't regret it! :) The only thing your smith might do extra is to open up the bolt head a little bit. gun)

Well, I was choosing a 30 caliber due to the wide range of bullets available today. High to me is one of the draw backs to the 8mm. Excellent size caliber but just not as much available. Plus, that round might be a bit larger and more recoil than I was looking for

IMHO the plain old 06 is fine. I know you can shoot regular ammo in an AI but the 06 has plenty of speed for hunting.

Mausers are awesome! I have rebarreled 6 of them, 1 was a '96 swede, one was a '48 yugo. I prefer the bold trigger with remington style safety. The adams and bennett barrels shoot awesome! I currently have a remington 798 in 243, an Interarms in 7 mag, and the '96 carl gustaf in 308.

I have an opportunity to buy a Mauser 98 that is still wearing the military stock, all original. I wish I had a borescope so I could take a peek. I would like to get one someday, have it sporterized, but leave it in it's original caliber just so I can say I have one. The action still ran smooth, but that was about all I could tell be looking at it.

Thanks for all the replies. So far my list includes
Shilen barrel
Model 70 style safety
New bolt handle
Boyd's laminate stock
Bead blast finish
Already has timney trigger
Square lugs and bolt face

Anything else I should be looking at doing? My first custom rifle. I want to do it right.

Thanks for all the replies. So far my list includes
Shilen barrel
Model 70 style safety
New bolt handle
Boyd's laminate stock
Bead blast finish
Already has timney trigger
Square lugs and bolt face

Anything else I should be looking at doing? My first custom rifle. I want to do it right.

I have been down this road a couple of times. Long story short the Mauser 98 action is a great action, but by the time you spend the money on bending the bolt, buying the rifle, blue printing etc you could just about buy a custom action ready for a barrel. If you want a 98 action buy a commercial one. I had a MK X built in 1989. I'm not sure what is available now.

well, I already have the rifle so I thought that would be a more economical way to go. is there anymore than just squaring up the bolt face and the lugs that can be done to a mauser action?

looks like a CZ action would run me about $600-$700

well, I already have the rifle so I thought that would be a more economical way to go. is there anymore than just squaring up the bolt face and the lugs that can be done to a mauser action?

looks like a CZ action would run me about $600-$700

Bend the bolt
Square the lugs
Square the bolt face.
Square the action where the barrel screws into the action
Square the threads in the action
Trigger replace or trigger job.
Polish the raceway

A custom action already has that done. All that helps accuracy. A CZ would need many of those done as well. What do you plan on doing with the rifel? You could just have a barrel replaced, put on a trigger and put it in a new stock, but you will not get all the potental accuracy from the rifle, however it may do what you want it to.

Gun will be used as a good hunting rifle. I would hope to get sub MOA groups from the gun. It already has a timney trigger. I doubt I would ever shoot game with it over 4-500 yards.

You can true the face of the receiver but i doubt that theres anything needed to be done on the lugs. Remember its an old battle rifle that has been cycled millions of times and im sure the lugs mate really well to the action already. The bolt handle needs forged over, the action needs drilled and tapped for scope bases. Replace your shroud for the winchester style safety and thats about it.

There is a very experienced gunsmith who frequents LRH (username: shortgrass) who will tell you not to have the bolt face or locking lugs squared because of the risk of compromising the case hardening. I have done those things successfully myself with a very light touch. OTOH, I had a different gunsmith do those things on two of my rifles and I am now replacing the bolt bodies.

A 98 mauser build is pretty straightforward. Put on a good barrel, a good trigger, and bed the action in a good stock and you will end up with an accurate, reliable rifle. Your parts choices and ideas of what you want will produce a very nice hunting rifle. Where your barrel is concerned, make sure to order it unchambered and unthreaded to allow your gunsmith maximum control over how the barrel is fitted to the action.

I have several rifles built on Mauser actions and they are my sentimental favorites. 30-06 is an excellent choice. Another one that may interest you is 338-06. I am having a 338-06AI built on a mauser action. I can't wait to take her for a test drive!

Thank you for the info. I keep looking at the load data for the 30-06 AI and it looks good on paper, but everything I read elsewhere says don't bother.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.