• You must be a Supporting Member to create a listing in the Long Range Hunting Marketplace. To read all the rules, click here.

We offer multiple options to become a Supporting Member here.

SOLD/EXPIRED Looking for a .338-.378

Hicks

Guys,

There is so much info out that I figured I'd just ask here. Is it possible to get into a .338-378 (just the rifle or maybe barreled action) for between $1200 and $1500?

Hicks

Probably get a used Weatherby Mark V Accumark for $1500-1800. I've seen them in the local classifieds for around that price too. Usually include some brass and ammo which is worth hundred of dollars.

The Boise, ID Cabela's has a Weathebry Mark V Accumark (synthetic with stainless fluted barrel) in .30-378 for $1500.00 in their gun library. Just saw it this morning. That plus a 215 or 230gr Berger would have some crazy awesome ballistics. But you asked about a .338-378.

Thanks for the reply!

I've thought about a .30 in something big. My dad has a .300 RUM and man does that thing shoot. He's using the 215 Berger's at about 2900fps. That seems to be the sweet spot on average with the VLDs. I learned my lesson trying to get a 7mm RUM as fast as possible. Burned the barrel. Anyway, I wanted something a little different, so I decided to find a rifle that I could build around the .338 300gr Hybrids. I had considered the Lapua, but I'm sort of wavering. I may just bite the proverbial bullet and just start piecing one together. Maybe start with a barrelled action and go from there.

Hicks

Probably get a used Weatherby Mark V Accumark for $1500-1800. I've seen them in the local classifieds for around that price too. Usually include some brass and ammo which is worth hundred of dollars.

The Boise, ID Cabela's has a Weathebry Mark V Accumark (synthetic with stainless fluted barrel) in .30-378 for $1500.00 in their gun library. Just saw it this morning. That plus a 215 or 230gr Berger would have some crazy awesome ballistics. But you asked about a .338-378.

I just picked up a Weatherby Arroyo Range Certified in 338-378 and man it's a thing of beauty - but I've had one heck of a time getting it to shoot any better than 7/8" consistently. I've tried OCW testing using 300 Bergers, 280 ELR's, 252 CE's, 250 Bergers - all behind N570.
I know there are other folks here who can make them sing, but not me :(

I did some research here and found a member who swears by Barnes LRX and RL 25, so I'll try that combo next.