Long range target and deer rifle opinions

Racerd400

I'm building my first rifle. I'm looking for something that will be effective out to 800 yards on hair and 1000+ on paper. The round I'm considering is the 6.5_06 or 6.5_06 ai, but I'm open to other calibers. The barrel I was considering would come from Douglas and on some of my other rifles I've used boydes stocks. I've came up with a savage 110 action. I'm asking for opinions and experiences all will appreciated.

Last edited:
The 6.5x47 and 6.5-06 are in different leagues. Spent quite a bit of time behind a 6.5-06. It is a very forgiving round with little recoil and about as easy to form brass as can be for a wwildcat. Another consideration may be a 6.5x284 and if you don't mind fire forming brass the 6.5 Sherman will exceed all previously mentioned cartridges and Rich is working on prefits now.
http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f19/sherman-wildcat-prefit-barrels-181815/

I'm building my first rifle. I'm looking for something that will be effective out to 800 yards on hair and 1000+ on paper. The round I'm considering is the 6.5_06 or 6.5_06 ai, but I'm open to other calibers. The barrel I was considering would come from Douglas and on some of my other rifles I've used boydes stocks. I've came up with a savage 110 action. I'm asking for opinions and experiences all will appreciated.

Those are good choices, as well as ...

I have a .270 AI with 30" Lilja 1:8" 3G #6 contour built on Savage 110 LA pushing the 175 Matrix VLD at 2993 FPS.

Another consideration is .280/AI with 1:8" 26"+ barrel.

Good luck!

It used to be be said a minimum of 1000ft/lbs should be used to kill a deer none of these rifles will have that at 800yds. Is there a new standard as it takes a heavy magnum to meet this reqirement.
I have also heard a lot of companies like 1800fos for reliable bullet expansion. If these things are still rules of thumb we need to be looking at bigger guns than the 270 and 6.5-06 for his task.

It used to be be said a minimum of 1000ft/lbs should be used to kill a deer none of these rifles will have that at 800yds. Is there a new standard as it takes a heavy magnum to meet this reqirement.
I have also heard a lot of companies like 1800fos for reliable bullet expansion. If these things are still rules of thumb we need to be looking at bigger guns than the 270 and 6.5-06 for his task.

I could be wrong but I don't think it's a standard but rather an unwritten rule or guide. I too follow the same unwritten rule as a guide along with the minimum velocity for the bullet I am using for proper expansion.

My current load for my .270 AI has an estimated 1949 FPS and 1477 FPE at 800 yards with 175 Matrix VLD.

Cheers!

I was wondeing if what I wrote was even heard of any more thanks for your reply.
I am not against long range hunting jusst knew that those standards made it hard to find suitable cartridges.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.