Loads for the 17 remington???

sobeksminion

Hi everyone,

Does anyone have any good loads for the 17 Remington???? Im currently using 25grn Hornady V-Max with 22.5grains of Benchmark 2 in remington brass and im only getting 1.75MOA(or there abouts)

Cheers

Michael

I use a book max load of varget of 24.5g and 25 grain berger match HP's. My gun likes alot of jump to the lands.

I tried 26 grains of Win 760 with hornady 25grain hps and got some better results with that(not that much better though only about 1.5 MOA). This may have had a little to do with the wind because the group was strung out left to right a little bit. Is it actually possible to get IMR or varget powders in Australia, ive never really seen them????

The "best load" I ever came up with was; Bullet… Remington's 25gr HP'…, when you could get them, you may find a few still around… if not… {Substitute Hornady 25gr HP} The powder charge I used was; 22.8grs {which is what Remington factory load weighed out at} the powder I used VV-135…. in a Remington case, with a Remington 7 1/2 BR...Primer. Cartridge OAL same as factory. This load shoots in all the .17 Remington's I've owned; at about 4040 fps'…, the advertised Remington velocity. The factory ammo was and is very accurate ammo, this load may possible be Remington's recipe. You won't be disappointed if you can find all the components. I've shot many Yotes with this load; it was a "very, very accurate" load off the bench, and in the field.

I like to use BR4's.

When I messed with mine, seating depth made a whole lots of difference. I cannot stress that enough.

On the primers for a .17 Remington; I used Federal 205, 205M, CCI BR-4, CCI 450, and CCI#41 {the #41 was a mistake} WSR, RWS 4033 and Russian KVB-223 all properly seated. The Remington 7 1/2 BR couldn't be match.

ps: on the #41 it seems most bolt type {none free floating} firing pins have to hit it more than once... they are hard to pop do to heavier primer cup.

Hi everyone,

Thanks for all your help. I found a really good load with 30 grain berger projectiles(my rifle has a 1:9 twist), 21.5 grains of benchmark 2 and remington 7 1/2 primers. It shoots regularly 1/2 moa to 3/4 moa.

Cheers

Michael

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.