Loads for .224 Berger 85.5 gn Long range target bullet

kai

I just received some Berger 22 cal 85.5 grain Long Range Hybrid Target bullets to test in my 26" .223 match Criterion 7.5 twist barrel.
I've loaded lighter bullets but this is the first time using Berger bullets and a really heavy bullet for this .223 barrel.

I'm getting ready for a match soon and would like to develop a load for this bullet for ranges out to 600 yards.

Does anyone have suggested powders and starting loads for the 85.5 gn bullet?

My magazine will accept a maximum COAL of 2.505 inches.... That's a minimum jump of .025 inch with this bullet.

Does anyone have any experience or suggested starting jump for this Berger bullet?

Last edited:
My best three powders with the heavy bullets in the .223 have been H4895, Varget and IMR 8208 in that order. The CCI 450 seems to be the best primer for me. Im using a 30 inch Brux barrel with a chamber that has .200 freebore. The 85.5 is not picky about jump so if your chamber allows it, I would start about .015 off the lands and work back from there. Not knowing what chamber you have I would start with 23.5 grains and work up with either H4895 or Varget. 8208 start a little lower.

TMill308... Thanks for your response.

I've been using TAC with my lighter bullets (ELDM 75 gn) and it's printing in the 4s and 5s but I'm trying on improving my groups.
I was going to test TAC because my reloading manuals don't list heavy bullets.

I've always used CCI 400 primers in my .223 and I'll give the 450s a try.

Thanks for letting me know that the 85.5 isn't sensitive to jump. My magazine allows me to go down to .025 jump so I'll start there.

My rifle is a Nucleus with a prefit Criterion match 223 chamber and it uses a Savage type barrel nut. I have other barrels (.308 Win and 28 Nosler Proof carbon barrels) that I use for hunting.

I see your credentials and would like to ask your thoughts about barrels... I originally started with the ARC Barloc system to change barrels, but I found that the POI shifted when changing barrels so I now use an action wrench and barrel vise to change my barrels. I'm thinking of trying a shouldered barrel to replace my .223 Criterion prefit hoping that it will give me more consistent POI and smaller groups. Do you think a quality shouldered barrel would be an improvement over the Criterion prefit with a barrel nut?
If so, what barrel and specs would you suggest?

My best three powders with the heavy bullets in the .223 have been H4895, Varget and IMR 8208 in that order. The CCI 450 seems to be the best primer for me. Im using a 30 inch Brux barrel with a chamber that has .200 freebore. The 85.5 is not picky about jump so if your chamber allows it, I would start about .015 off the lands and work back from there. Not knowing what chamber you have I would start with 23.5 grains and work up with either H4895 or Varget. 8208 start a little lower.
What twist is your barrel. I have a 30" 7 twist. I shoot the 80.5's. Was thinking of trying 85.5's

My 26" Criterion prefit barrel has a 7.5 twist. The Berger 85.5 gn bullets list the minimum twist at 8.

The ELDM 75 gn bullets that I've been using have a listed twist of 7 but they seem to shoot fine (in the 4s and 5s) out of my 7.5 twist barrel.

I'm hoping to tighten up my groups to hone my shooting techniques and for competing out to 600 yds.

I use this gun for hunting with 28 Nosler and .308 Win Proof carbon barrels.
I practice with the .223 Remington barrel and have started to compete with the .223 on a military range that only allows the common military cartridges.

Here's a pic of the rifle with the prefit .223 Criterion barrel.

20190922_095243 (1).jpg

Last edited:
Nice looking rifle! My 223 is one of my Palma rifles, 30 inch Medium Palma contour Brux 7.5 twist, tube gun stock. All of my rifles have shouldered barrels, Ive never used a Pre-fit. I generally only compete with iron sights but have shot some FTR in the past.

I just received some Berger 22 cal 85.5 grain Long Range Hybrid Target bullets to test in my 26" .223 match Criterion 7.5 twist barrel.
I've loaded lighter bullets but this is the first time using Berger bullets and a really heavy bullet for this .223 barrel.

I'm getting ready for a match soon and would like to develop a load for this bullet for ranges out to 600 yards.

My magazine will accept a maximum COAL of 2.505 inches.... That's a minimum jump of .025 inch with this bullet.

Does anyone have any experience or suggested starting jump for this Berger bullet?
What powder and how much of it? Did you settle on?

Our state is in lock down. The ranges are closed. So I haven't had a chance to do any testing. I'd like to know if anyone has load data and is willing to share it with us.

Try 20.0 to 21.5 VARGET @ 2.410 OAL.....HTH

Any updated data here? I have been testing these lately shot a .20 inch 5 shot group with 21 grains of 8208. Velocity is low at like 2550 but man that thing printed nice my cbto was 1.960 which was .010 off the lands I've also tried n140 and sw precision. Next is h4895 but I only have 90 bullets left

The only time I shoot groups is during load development and even then it is not very often. I primarily shoot with iron sights and generally do a long range ladder test to identify the powder charge and then tweak seating depth to control the vertical. My goal is sub x ring elevation at 1000 yards, but with the .223 most of my shooting with it is at 300, 500 qnd 600 yards. I just put a new Brux 7 twist 30 inch barrel on the .223 Palma rifle and with the LR chamber the 85.5s are seated out pretty far. So far they seem to like about .050 jump with N140 and H4895. The velocity window seems to be between 2875 and 2900 with that bullet.