Leveling scope off the bottom

I've never thought of using playing cards or feeler gauges to level a scope. I suppose I'll be trying this with the next rifle I need to mount a scope on.

I've never used cards or feeler gauges to level a scope but have used feeler gauges and parallel bars to level equipment base's and bearings .

I used to snicker at the guys who level off the turret, but I know some very experienced builders do it that way, so there must be something to it.

I've proved to myself several times not to use the turrets to level a scope. Try this and see what you come up with. Level you gun with the turret. Now rotate the turret and check your bubble again. Do that in 90* increments until you are back to your starting point. After watching the bubble be all over the place I do not use that method anymore.

I recently bought a Level-Right Pro. I use it to get a very good reticle alignment at my shop with a remount or new scope. I have then checked with a plumb line at 100yds with the rifle perfectly leveled in a Benchrest/F-class rest and I have not had to make any adjustments; the Level-Right nailed it on the three scopes I have mounted thus far. I have always used a tall plumb line at 100yds at the range for the task but this allows perfect alignment at home. I shoot 1000yd target comps and any cant of the reticle is bad for business and this product has been spot on. I would not buy one unless I had to level reticles multiple times throughout the year as it is a little pricey.

I've had success in a bind with using a brand new utility knife blade. I push the sharp part of the blade down and against the back of one of the grooves in the pic rail and lift the back of the blade until it contacts the flat bottom of the scope erector. It will be very obvious if the scope and pic rail aren't parallel and flat with one another.

Thanks guys for the input. I eventually just used a "plumb line" and spirit levels and the pic rail to level the scope.

I tried just using spirit levels off the action and off the scope bottom and I also tried the arisaka tool and the shine the light through the scope trick but the scope always felt off.

i was going crazy trying to level this shv scope. I think I finally got it close. The scope appears to track correctly. I never had a problem before this scope.

Thanks again.
S

Thanks guys for the input. I eventually just used a "plumb line" and spirit levels and the pic rail to level the scope.

I tried just using spirit levels off the action and off the scope bottom and I also tried the arisaka tool and the shine the light through the scope trick but the scope always felt off.

i was going crazy trying to level this shv scope. I think I finally got it close. The scope appears to track correctly. I never had a problem before this scope.

Thanks again.
S
Don't forget to confirm it being plumb with a tall target test

Thanks again.
S
Looked off while holding it or sitting with the rifle leveled? Done by any of these methods the scope should be level to the top of the rifle, problem is no one holds their rifles perfectly level off hand

And that is why we put levels on our scopes so we can tell when we are holding our rifles level . We have to teach ourselves to hold them so they are level then our mussel memory will help us after we teach them how we want it to be done if I have been taught correctly and memory serves me well .

You can level the scope/rifle together only to find you have to fight the level with your shoulder. I get setup in my rifle the way I shoot, which is with a very slight cant, level with a plum bob and confirm with a tall target test. Once confirmed I set my anti can't level on the scope. It's very hard to distinguish between wind and the very slight degree of offset I have in my rifle.

Last edited:
I get setup in my rifle the way I shoot, which is with a very slight cant, level with a plum bob and confirm with a tall target test

I do similar on my sporter rifles. I use a digital level cube on the bare rail and shoulder the gun offhand measuring how far out of level I hold it then I mount the scope with the opposite cant to ensure it's level when shouldered. Double check with a plumb bob to ensure level.

On my long range rifles that I shoot prone the gun is leveled then the scope as I'm rarely if ever shouldering those offhand.

Looked off while holding it or sitting with the rifle leveled? Done by any of these methods the scope should be level to the top of the rifle, problem is no one holds their rifles perfectly level off hand
Tried looking through both ways but for the most part in a gun vise looking through the scope trying not to disturb gun level.

I was leveling the scope and setting scope level at the same time. I would only look through the scope to check level after I set the scope level.

The scope reticle never looked level to my eye not matter what I tried until I used a window jamb off a neighboring shed as a plumb line.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.