Leupold LRVD vs LRD

wesleymmoore

I have been hunting for 35 years but only recently felt a need/want to expand my range & expertise when I became friends with a competitive shooter/varmint hunter. I bought a Model 700 in 22-250 and mounted a Leupold Vari X II 6x18 40mm AO scope with a Long Range Varmint Duplex. I joined a range, zeroed at 200 yards, and have been shooting my fair share of prairie dogs and coyotes. In addition, I recently increased bullet weight from 50 to 64 grains and was able to take an antelope and a muley at what i consider long range, both with one shot and both dropped in their tracks.
The Long Range VARMINT Duplex has allowed me to simply hold on the 300 yard line at the antelope and the deer. It was very easy and steady using my bipod on non-spooked game.

Now I am ready to dedicate one scope to my 30-06 elk/oryx rifle. I have a 6x18 50mm Simmons piece of crap on it now that I thought was good until I bought a scope that cost more than the rifle.
I like the Leupold LR VARMINT Duplex horizontal lines inside the duplex versus the mil dots on the Leupold Long Range (not varmint) Duplex.

I can NOT find what I need to know on leupold.com

Will the LRVD work on the 30-06? Or is the LR Varmint Duplex simply made for lighter calibers? I will normally be shooting 180 grain Winchester Supreme Ballistic tip rounds (from memory) until I at least shoot up what I have. (I got a reloader for Christmas!)

Am I being a baby? Do I just need to use the dots in the LRD and not obsess about the lines? Should I do what my buddy does and use target knobs and dial in the distance to hold dead on? (That seems like way too much work)

Any advice to this newbie would be appreciated.

This is my 1st post so be gentle.

Go to articles Oct. 2010, choosing and using modern reticles, this will get you up to speed

Thanks sp6x6,

I read the whole thing. It IS a great place to start. I loved the ART reticle but would take forever to acquire the target in a hunting situation. I definitely must have set my 200 yard zero at 18x because my last 2 animals (antelope and deer) I dialed the power all the way up and held close to the 300 yard line on the 325 shot and dead on the 400 line on my 409 shot.

I can tell you I have alot to learn. Next I'm gonna visit some scope manufacturers web sites. I definitely love my Leupold. Now I just gotta figure if I want to dial the turrets or use the dots, christmas tree lines, etc.

With this 30-06 elk/oryx rifle, I doubt I will attempt anything over 600 yards, but we'll see what happens at the range. I can hit the 600 yd gong now, with a $160 6x18 x 50mm Simmons and a ballistic table taped to the stock.

Looking forward to more practice, a new adjustable trigger, and a new scope before next fall.

Got Aoudad in a month but the 22-250 is a tack driver!
:)

Last edited:
Hi wesleymmoore,

This is what I did to get a custom turret for my Vortex Viper 6-24x50mm PST FFP MOA & EBR-1 reticle. It is amazing how accurate & easy to use for elevation. I use the MOA hash marks on the reticle to hold for wind. NO counting clicks. :D

Drop chart. - Georgia Outdoor News Forum

Testing new Vortex custom turret. - Georgia Outdoor News Forum

Field test: Vortex Viper 6-24x50mm PST MOA FFP scope. - Georgia Outdoor News Forum

joseph

Thx Joseph, will check it out now! I like the idea of the front focused.

Leupold also makes a ballistic reticle for big game that would work great on your 30-06. Once you get behind a good scope all others seem bad as you said about your Simmons. Good luck.
John

Back on the web while watching football. Will surf over to check out Leupold site again today and look at the ballistic reticle.

I think that i now believe that anything other than a direct dial of the turret is more of a "suggestion".

Anybody agree with that?

My goal is to have a 6" group at 600 yards. I think, with practice, that can be achieved with my FN Browning 30-06, a Timney trigger set at 2.5-3 lbs, a $600 scope, and a bipod.

Here are a couple ideas, I have a 257 WM, W/4-14x40 Leupy, B&C RETICLE.Which gets me to 550 yrd. right now w/hold over points,simple fast.I also have cds turret in moa and I use last hash as my dial up point for extended range. My son likes this set up,fast for coyotes. I would prefer a 6-20 varmit reticle on this rifle or TMR. On MY long range rifle I have 6-20x50 TMR, which if you read about ART IS very similar,FFP. But this scope is 3x's the $$

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts