Leica HDB with yardage turret question

wildcat75

I'm trying to wrap my head around this but still a little Un-certain. For those of you who own a set of these fine bino''s you should be familiar with the ballistic curve set up. However my question is when using the EHR(equivelent horizontal range) as the selected output value with these. They take into account the selected ballistic curve, presure, temp and angle of inclination or declination and then spit out a range or EHR. Now if I get a yardage turret burnt for my scope with the exact same perameters as I give the bino's, in my mind these should correlate exactly. Or am I missing something?

example: my perameters are 2200ft elevation, 80degF, and I am shooting 6.5mm 130gr projectile @ 2600fps with a G7 of 0.288
with those being a constant on my turret when the HDB goes to adjust for a different elevation and temp and then give me a EHR I just dial that yardage on my turret. No?

They give you the calculated mil (or moa) adjustment to make based on the projectile ballistics, elevation, and EHR. The EHR itself is independent of altitude. So its best to keep the original mil markings on your turret.

They give you the calculated mil (or moa) adjustment to make based on the projectile ballistics, elevation, and EHR. The EHR itself is independent of altitude. So its best to keep the original mil markings on your turret.

I believe you to be incorrect based on what the manual says.

Copy and pasted from manual pdf:
BALLISTIC OUTpUT FORMATS (ABC®)
Advanced Ballistic Compensation (AbC) on the Leica Geovid HD-B allows you to display one of the following three ballistic values after measuring the range:
– the equivalent horizontal range (EHr)
– the corresponding point of aim (HOLd)
– the number of clicks required for quick reticule
adjustment

Following, I just got a pair of these and haven't yet set up a ballistic profile. To me custom building a turret to a ballistic profile seems like a bad decision. I would much rather have just click and hold adjustments displayed based on environment, incline, and ballistic curve and the HDR be an actual horizontal distance.

Following, I just got a pair of these and haven't yet set up a ballistic profile. To me custom building a turret to a ballistic profile seems like a bad decision. I would much rather have just click and hold adjustments displayed based on environment, incline, and ballistic curve and the HDR be an actual horizontal distance.

I would agree with you however the options you have when selecting the output value as moa, are 1, 1/2 and 1/4 moa. For example if you select 1/4 moa, you range something at 500yds it gives you a number let's say 35 now you have to either count 35 clicks on your turret or divide the number by 4 to get the moa value. Not ideal in a hunting situation.

The most accurate output is the quarter MOA setting and you don't have to mess with changing turrets, custom turrets, etc., if you can't do the math when it spits out a 77 then make a little cheat sheet. It will still show the yards then display the number of clicks below it. I took a pig at 830 yards down a steep canyon and it calculated the shot perfectly. It will compute further but you are pushing the limits of G1 at that range(mine are G1)

I wonder who the dumb@ss is that decided it was a good idea to use clicks rather than MOA or MIL adjustment?

I wonder who the dumb@ss is that decided it was a good idea to use clicks rather than MOA or MIL adjustment?

The engineers that don't shoot, if they tried doing math with a bad case of buck fever they might have set it up differently.

The engineers that don't shoot, if they tried doing math with a bad case of buck fever they might have set it up differently.

Agreed! But don't get me wrong these are a fine piece of equipment! Heard something about a vortex razor amg from gunwerks with all the capabilities of their G7 ballistic range finder. Maybe this is old news to you guys to the south but up here in Canada nobody that I talk to has heard anything about it.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.