• You must be a Supporting Member to create a listing in the Long Range Hunting Marketplace. To read all the rules, click here.

We offer multiple options to become a Supporting Member here.

Left hand .308 win budget rifle, first rifle for 12 y/o kid

codyadams

My co-worker wants to get her son a rifle, he is about to turn 12. Their family has had a tradition since the .308 cartridge became commercial that for their 12th birthday, they get a .308 rifle, so it has to be a .308 win.

Her son is left handed. I would really prefer not to get a savage, as 3 for 3 of the last savages we got had problems (two had a ding in the chamber that made it impossible to chamber a round and had to be reamed out, the third had the chamber reamed crooked, lands came down to case neck on one side, and were a mile long on the other), but pretty much any other rifle that is sub $750 or so would probably work, Ruger American, Remington 700 sps, and so on. Keep in mind, it's for a kid as just a standard hunting rifle, so a 12 lb rifle is probably not suitable (and also probably wouldn't fall in this price range), though it does not need to have a short LOP, he is 5'08" already, he can already handle a full size rifle, and is gonna be tall.

I wouldn't even be posting on here, but I am having a heck of a time finding a left handed .308 in stock anywhere. So if you have a left hand budget .308 laying around, please let me know. If we find one in stock, I'll update this thread.

Thanks for any help guys!

My co-worker wants to get her son a rifle, he is about to turn 12. Their family has had a tradition since the .308 cartridge became commercial that for their 12th birthday, they get a .308 rifle, so it has to be a .308 win.

Her son is left handed. I would really prefer not to get a savage, as 3 for 3 of the last savages we got had problems (two had a ding in the chamber that made it impossible to chamber a round and had to be reamed out, the third had the chamber reamed crooked, lands came down to case neck on one side, and were a mile long on the other), but pretty much any other rifle that is sub $750 or so would probably work, Ruger American, Remington 700 sps, and so on. Keep in mind, it's for a kid as just a standard hunting rifle, so a 12 lb rifle is probably not suitable (and also probably wouldn't fall in this price range), though it does not need to have a short LOP, he is 5'08" already, he can already handle a full size rifle, and is gonna be tall.

I wouldn't even be posting on here, but I am having a heck of a time finding a left handed .308 in stock anywhere. So if you have a left hand budget .308 laying around, please let me know. If we find one in stock, I'll update this thread.

Thanks for any help guys!
.308 Winchester
Adjustable length for growing-up. (For a few dollars more.)

Or, if you pick a 30-06, will expand the available selection.
6.5 Creedmoor, .243 Winchester also.

IF YOU CAN FIND ONE
This is actually the rifle I suggested, but hard to find....

.308 Winchester
Adjustable length for growing-up. (For a few dollars more.)
That Begara is a nice rifle for sure, but would be on the heavy side, 11+ lbs scoped likely. They advertise 9.5-9.9 lbs, and most of the time the advertised numbers are a little on the light side....

Thank you though, the effort is greatly appreciated!

I think I am looking for the same rifle for the same young man for his uncle out of Casper. Having the same problems finding any.

He called me since I am a lefty, but I have never owned a left handed rifle and probably wouldn't know how to handle one after 40 plus years of shooting righties.

I think I am looking for the same rifle for the same young man for his uncle out of Casper. Having the same problems finding any.

He called me since I am a lefty, but I have never owned a left handed rifle and probably wouldn't know how to handle one after 40 plus years of shooting righties.
Yup, I would bet so.....I work in Kemmerer for the Sheriff's Office.

I have a buddy with a FFL, I'll ask him to check for availability on his dealer sites.
Trying to find a lefty rifle kind of sucks, very-very limited on available options.