• You must be a Supporting Member to create a listing in the Long Range Hunting Marketplace. To read all the rules, click here.

We offer multiple options to become a Supporting Member here.

SOLD/EXPIRED Large vs small rifle primer

Varmtr

G'Day Guys

Whats the benefits of a small rifle primer in a 308 size case eg 308 Palma Lapua and now I see that 6.5 Creedmore comes in small rifle.
I ask this as my 6.5 Epps project is nearly finished and was thinking about bushing from large rifle to small rifle as an experiment. I have read that this has been done a long time ago but can't remember how or if there still making the bushes. The 6.5 Epps is a 303 Brit necked down and ackley improved, rifle wise built on a P14.
Cheers
Rossco

Although I cannot share my thoughts on your bushing situation I will utter what Lapua believes about the primer situation. They claim that the initial ignition of a cartridge should be as mild as possible and still get everything done (i.e. Full ignition of the cartridge). They believe that a smaller primer ignition is less intrusive and disturbing to the system allowing everything else to have more accuracy potential. Is this true? No idea. I've used all kinds of their stuff. What I do know to be true is that if you have a small hole in the same material as a larger hole. The smaller hole will be stronger and the material last longer and take more abuse. That I can put a stamp of "I've witnessed this" for you. So. In my eyes it's worth a try. Accuracy. Not sure. Longevity absolutely. Hope this helps.

I would also refer u to 65guys shot show 2017 talking with Lapua guy. He will touch on their theory... [ame]https://youtu.be/fCjMVLr7K9o[/ame]

if we are simply talking small vs large primers...i believe pressure is the concerning issue unless someone can object?
if im not mistaking the creedmoor was originally in large rifle primer...and they were being blown out too often so the made them in small rifle primer..or was that different cartridge im thinking of?

I've been converting and selling Lapua brass for years now. My purposes for the Palma brass are intended specifically for case strength and brass longevity. After 20,000+ casings of converted Lapua brass sold and 3000+ personal firings, feedback from clients are mixed regarding large primer vs. small primer. Myself and guys I run with were using my small primer "Palma" brass, for the purpose of building higher pressure loads, up to considered "nuclear" velocity hunting and accuracy loads. All variables being equal, I did not find one more inheritantly "accurate" than the other.

Depending on what your intended purposes for the brass and your rifle (assuming a bolt-action), here's what we learned from Lapua "Palma" small primer brass:

Pros:
-More firings before primers pockets start to loosen up for guys developing high pressure and "Nuclear" loads (if that's an intended purpose).
-Cases holistically hold up better to the abuse reaching for the higher velocity accuracy nodes
-Reports of smaller ES/SD (again, all variables being equal). However, this has been disproven from my experience.

Cons:
-A few recorded ignition issues in extreme cold weather (Not personally verified). Appropriate powder choice is critical in this environment.

Neutral:
-Does not require a bushed firing pin assembly.

Guys were buying both the standard brass for their normal precision loading so they get the life out of their brass (over 30 loadings), and would buy small primer "Palma" brass for their super high pressure, precision hunting loads. These loads are hard on brass so development will chew into your lifespan.

G'day Clownbuster
The cartridge I'm using is a 303 Brit necked down to 6.5 then Ackley improved. The action is a Winchester made Enfield P14. Brass wise looking at using Bertram but also have Rem, Win as well.
I'm mostly looking at brass life and crank the pressure's up as well.
Cold weather isn't really much of a problem here in Australia.
I'm wondering how did you convert the LR Lapua cases to SR and if you also bushed the flash hole as well.