Ladder test worth it?

I wasn't sure that is why I was asking the question. I have been seating the bullets to mag length with good luck on previous load work ups, not doing the ladder test method. If I start at mag length and than seat deeper, I'm not sure the bullets will like that because they already are jumping 0.14".

I think Sherm might have the best option of seating long and than getting an extended box. I wish Remington wouldn't put such long throats in their barrels.

I was planning on doing the ladder at 300 yards if I can ever get a good weather day. How fast does everyone shoot a ladder, do shoot one and let it cool or do all 10 at once?

Thanks
idcwby

If you are shooting at 300 I am out. You are wasting your time. I am not going to waste mine. Good luck.

If you are shooting at 300 I am out. You are wasting your time. I am not going to waste mine. Good luck.

This gun doesn't usually get shot over 400 yards very much and the scope I have on it isn't setup to dial easily. I usually just holdover using the mildots. This is why I was planning on doing this at 300.

What's your suggestion than, knowing my yardage now?

idcwby

Last edited:
This gun doesn't usually get shot over 400 yards very much and the scope I have on it isn't setup to dial easily. I usually just holdover using the mildots. This is why I was planning on doing this at 300.

idcwby
My opinion, but if your not going to shoot over 400 yards than I would not be so concerned with Ladder testing. You can save yourself some headache and probably be good with just doing your 100 yard group development.

My opinion, but if your not going to shoot over 400 yards than I would not be so concerned with Ladder testing. You can save yourself some headache and probably be good with just doing your 100 yard group development.

That's what I have been doing, just haven't had much luck with these bullets yet, so thought maybe a ladder at 300 yards might speed up the process.

Might try Sherm's idea, but use it for 100 yard groups.

idcwby

I've seen good 100 yard groups fall apart at 400. I would at least do load development at 400 if you cant ladder test.

I've seen good 100 yard groups fall apart at 400. I would at least do load development at 400 if you cant ladder test.

I could ladder test, but everyone else is suggesting it's a waste of time for those yardages.

idcwby

Just test your 100 yard load at 400. If its .5 m.o a at 100 should be .5 m.o.a at 400. You could do some seating depth test with groups to see if they are better than 100

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.