Ladder test worth it?

idcwby

I was planning on doing a ladder test with my 6mm Remington. My length to the lands is 2.497" ogive, but to fit in the magazine they have to be 2.357" ogive, and OAL is 2.835". That is a 0.14" jump. Is the ladder test even worth it or should I just shoot 3 shot groups like I have been to determine what powder will group the best?

Thanks
idcwby

In my opinion a latter test is definitely worth it. Seat them longer and shoot single shot and if your happier with them seated longer have a Smith install a wyatt's 3" box

where were you going to start ? i normally start at the lands. if it is not practical then start at mag length with a ladder and work backwards.
only on really well known rounds do i think you can skip a ladder( 6ppc, 6 dasher).

200 is all that is needed if you actually pay attention.
at 300 most people cannot keep wind out of the picture.
To me and maybe not to all, but a ladder test is only good if done at extended distances where it can be interpreted with ease.

The ladder test is the best and quickest way to a great long range load but it must be performed at distance. I would not shoot under 500 yards and 700-1000 is better. It requires less time and components than other methods period. There are other ways but the require more components and barrel life.

200 is all that is needed if you actually pay attention.
at 300 most people cannot keep wind out of the picture.

This is completely incorrect. The purpose of a ladder is to use physics(distance) to show you a small dispersion in vertical. At 200,300 and sometimes even 400 there is too much noise to see what you are really trying to accomplish end of discussion.

If you can not get out to 500 or beyond do yourself a favor and use the OCW or "classic" style load development.

If you have access to a chrono, you can get a good idea of what MIGHT be a good load by observing ES/SD along with the best groups.

Key word and I see you emphasized it is MIGHT. I can show you several single digit es loads that would not group at 700+ yards. I can also show you several .1 and .2" 100 yard groups that would not shoot at 700+ yards. This is why I use the ladder when possible. It is not only quicker but there is no doubt you have found the load when you see it. I shoot in farmers fields so if it is too wet I can not get to my long range targets. If I absolutely have to do load development I use the OCW at 100. It has never let me down it just required more shots.

where were you going to start ? i normally start at the lands. if it is not practical then start at mag length with a ladder and work backwards.
only on really well known rounds do i think you can skip a ladder( 6ppc, 6 dasher).

I wasn't sure that is why I was asking the question. I have been seating the bullets to mag length with good luck on previous load work ups, not doing the ladder test method. If I start at mag length and than seat deeper, I'm not sure the bullets will like that because they already are jumping 0.14".

I think Sherm might have the best option of seating long and than getting an extended box. I wish Remington wouldn't put such long throats in their barrels.

I was planning on doing the ladder at 300 yards if I can ever get a good weather day. How fast does everyone shoot a ladder, do shoot one and let it cool or do all 10 at once?

Thanks
idcwby

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.